photo: Makó Orthodox synagogue building on Eötvös K. u. 15.in 1985. [February 2009]
An older cemetery used from 1700s to 1810 on Kossuth Street has 111 graves. The old cemetery on Hársfa Street was used between 1810 and 1856. No tombstones remain. Fenced, the site is adorned with a memorial plaque. The Neolog Cemetery, opened in 1855 and was used by the Orthodox until 1876, is next to the Evangelist Church in Jángor.
MAKO (I): US Commission No. 000027
Mako is located in Csongrad at 46°13' 20°29', 30km from Szeged. Cemetery is 3 km. N. of center along road to Foldeak. Population is 25,000-100,000 with 10-100 Jews.
The pre-WWII Jewish population (census) was 2503. Pulitzer Jozsef, Makai Emil and Vorhand Mozes, Kecskemeti Armin lived here. The Jewish cemetery was established in 1856. Buried in the cemetery are Vorhand Tuozes and Makai Emil. The last known Neolog Jewish burial was 1990. No other towns or villages used this cemetery. The rural/agricultural flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, reached by crossing private property, is open to all via a broken fence and a non-locking gate. Pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 2.32 hectares. [Statements about location of gravestones were contradictory.]
500 and 5000 gravestones, less than 25% toppled or broken, exist. OR: Location of stones removed from the cemetery is unknown. No known mass graves. There are an ohel and a pre-burial house with a catafalque, wall inscriptions, and a chimney. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem that is damaging stones. Special sections exist for rabbis, Cohanim, and children. The oldest known gravestone dates from 1856-20th century. The marble, granite and sandstone finely smoothed and inscribed stones, double tombstones or sculpted monuments have Hebrew, Yiddish, Polish and Hungarian inscriptions. Some tombstones have metal fences around graves. The local Jewish community owns property used for Jewish cemetery and agriculture (crops or animal grazing). Adjacent properties are agricultural and cemetery. Boundaries are unchanged since 1939. The cemetery was vandalized frequently in the last ten years. Jewish groups within Hungary re-erected stones, cleared vegetation, and fixed wall frequently in the last 10 years. Occasional individuals clean or clear now. Caretaker is paid by use of empty section for farming. Serious threats are security (uncontrolled access) and vandalism Weather erosion is moderate threat.
Fodor Laszlo of Mako, Deak F. u. 53/a and Peter Wirth completed survey on 4/11/91. Documentation: Dr. Kecskemeti Armin: A Csanadmegyei zsidok tortenete (1929). He visited site on 02/11/91. Dr. Baton Ferenc was interviewed on 03/11/91 at Mako.
MAKO: (II) US Commission No. 000028
The Jewish cemetery was established in 1821. David fia [son of] Naftalin (a martyr killed in 1779) is buried here. The last known Hasidic Orthodox Jewish burial was 1821. The flat isolated urban site has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a continuous masonry wall and locking gate. No structures are within the cemetery. Pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.33 hectares.
20 and 100 gravestones, less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 1740- 19th century. The marble, limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones or finely smoothed and inscribed stones have Hebrew inscriptions. The cemetery contains special memorial mounuments to pogrom victims, but no known mass graves. The local Jewish community owns property used for Jewish cemetery and grazing in a part. Adjacent properties are residential. Boundaries are unchanged since 1939. The cemetery was not vandalized. Jewish groups within Hungary fixed the wall and gate in 1986-88 with no vandalism since. Mako Jewish Congregation pays the regular caretaker. Moderate or slight threats include security (uncontrolled access) and weather erosion. Pollution is slight threat. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem preventing access. Fodor Laszlo of Mako, Deak Ferenc utca 53/a and
Peter Wirth completed survey on 4/11/91 using: oral tradition and Dr. Kecskemeti Armin: Csanadmegyei Zsiolok Tortenete (1929). Wirth visited site in 1991. Dr. Baron Ferenc at Mako was interviewed on 03/11/91.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 04 March 2009 20:34|