MAD: BAZ Print

Alternate names: Mád [Hun], Nagynad, Maád, Mada, Hegyalja-Mad. 48°12' N, 21°17' E, In NE Hungary, 24 miles ENE of Miskolc. 1900 Jewish population: 897.

old Jewish cemetery and the beautiful synagogue of Mad/, a village near Tokaj. The last photo is labeled "yeshiva'. [Apr 2014]

The town in NE Hungary has a Baroque synagogue now being restored to be used as a memorial museum and educational center. Built around 1795 andone of the finest

surviving examples of this type of synagogue architecture is one of the oldest surviving synagogues in the country. The city is located close to several villages where Hasidic

rabbis are buried. Since 1944, the synagogue stood empty when the Jewish community was deported to Auschwitz. Remaining today, though not in good condition, is the

former yeshiva and rabbi's residence, A plaque hanging inside the synagogue commemorates hundreds of local Holocaust victims. "Mad" - Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities

in Hungary [February 2009]

Mád Jewish cemetery: 1984 view of the cemetery. The one-of-a-kind baroque style synagogue, built in 1795, was renovated in 2004, along with the rabb'si residence and

cemetery near the edge of the village with 200-300-year-old graves. Mayor's office is caretaker. Cemetery and synagogue Summer photos and winter photos. [February 2009]

Visited July 2009. Cemetery is in excellent condition due to the efforts of family and helpers in Hungary. All stones are readable and marked. This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it [May 2010]

US Commission No. 000014

Mad is located in Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen, (48°21' 21°12'), 50km from Miskolc. Cemetery: outside of town, E of center. (Land Record #778.hrz.) Present town

population is 1,000-5,0 with no Jews.

  • Local: Polgarmesteri Hivatal of MadRakovci ut 50. Ph: 1.

  • Regional: Budapesti Orthodox Hitkozseg of Dob u.35, H-1075 Budapest Phone: (011-361) 132-4333 and Orthodox Tagozat.

  • Caretaker with key: Csengeri Toth Barnabas of Mad Tancsics ut 98.

The Pre-WWII Jewish population (census) was 700. Rosenbaum Amram (tzadik), who in 1826 moved to Palestine, lived here. The Jewish cemetery was

established in 1769. Buried in the cemetery are Rabbis: Mose Wolf Litman (-1799), Schwartz Abraham Juda Leb Hakohen (1824-1883) and Inkler Mordechaj

Yehuda ( -1932). The Jewish community was Bal-Sem-Tov Hasidic Orthodox, Sephardic Orthodox, Conservative, Progressive/Reform, and Neolog. No other towns

or villages used this landmarked (1990 historic monument) cemetery. The isolated suburban agricultural hillside by water has no sign, but has Jewish symbols on

gate or wall. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via continuous masonry wall and locking gate. The approximate size before WWII

was 0.65 hectares and now is 0.61 hectares. Less than 25% of gravestones are toppled or broken. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem.

500-5000 18th-20th century marble, granite, limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones or flat stones with carved relief

decoration have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces. There are no known mass graves, but there is

an ohel. The national Jewish community owns the still-active cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential. Boundaries were smaller than in 1939

because of agriculture. Jewish individuals abroad cleared vegetation and fixed wall. Budapesti Orthodox Hitkozseg pays the regular caretaker. Weather erosion is

a serious threat. Vandalism is a moderate threat.

Lowy Lajos of Tokayj, Rakocri ut 41on 11/12/91 completed survey using: Zemplen Zsidosaganak Torrenetc; Orieh Lewy: Mad Zsido hitkozsege (Jeruzsalem, 1974).

Other documentation exists but was not redundant. He visited site on 11/10/91.

Last Updated on Sunday, 13 April 2014 12:12