Alternate names: Mád [Hun], Nagynad, Maád, Mada, Hegyalja-Mad. 48°12' N, 21°17' E, In NE Hungary, 24 miles ENE of Miskolc. 1900 Jewish population: 897.
The town in NE Hungary has a Baroque synagogue now being restored to be used as a memorial museum and educational center. Built around 1795 andone of the finest surviving examples of this type of synagogue architecture is one of the oldest surviving synagogues in the country. The city is located close to several villages where Hasidic rabbis are buried. Since 1944, the synagogue stood empty when the Jewish community was deported to Auschwitz. Remaining today, though not in good condition, is the former yeshiva and rabbi's residence, A plaque hanging inside the synagogue commemorates hundreds of local Holocaust victims. "Mad" - Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities in Hungary [February 2009]
Mád Jewish cemetery: 1984 view of the cemetery. The one-of-a-kind baroque style synagogue, built in 1795, was renovated in 2004, along with the rabb'si residence and cemetery near the edge of the village with 200-300-year-old graves. Mayor's office is caretaker. Cemetery and synagogue Summer photos and winter photos. [February 2009]
US Commission No. 000014
Mad is located in Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen, (48°21' 21°12'), 50km from Miskolc. Cemetery: outside of town, E of center. (Land Record #778.hrz.) Present town population is 1,000-5,0 with no Jews.
The Pre-WWII Jewish population (census) was 700. Rosenbaum Amram (tzadik), who in 1826 moved to Palestine, lived here. The Jewish cemetery was established in 1769. Buried in the cemetery are Rabbis: Mose Wolf Litman (-1799), Schwartz Abraham Juda Leb Hakohen (1824-1883) and Inkler Mordechaj Yehuda ( -1932). The Jewish community was Bal-Sem-Tov Hasidic Orthodox, Sephardic Orthodox, Conservative, Progressive/Reform, and Neolog. No other towns or villages used this landmarked (1990 historic monument) cemetery. The isolated suburban agricultural hillside by water has no sign, but has Jewish symbols on gate or wall. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via continuous masonry wall and locking gate. The approximate size before WWII was 0.65 hectares and now is 0.61 hectares. Less than 25% of gravestones are toppled or broken. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem.
500-5000 18th-20th century marble, granite, limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces. There are no known mass graves, but there is an ohel. The national Jewish community owns the still-active cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential. Boundaries were smaller than in 1939 because of agriculture. Jewish individuals abroad cleared vegetation and fixed wall. Budapesti Orthodox Hitkozseg pays the regular caretaker. Weather erosion is a serious threat. Vandalism is a moderate threat.
Lowy Lajos of Tokayj, Rakocri ut 41on 11/12/91 completed survey using: Zemplen Zsidosaganak Torrenetc; Orieh Lewy: Mad Zsido hitkozsege (Jeruzsalem, 1974). Other documentation exists but was not redundant. He visited site on 11/10/91.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 07 September 2010 11:59|