KUNSZENTMARTON: JNS Print

Kunszentmárton at 46.84°N 20.29°E is a small town in Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok County in central Hungary and center of the administrative region of Kunszentmártoni kistérség, which includes the following villages:

Cibakháza Csépa Cserkeszőlő Kunszentmárton Nagyrév
Öcsöd Szelevény Tiszaföldvár Tiszainoka Tiszakürt
Tiszasas

Körös River crosses the city from the NE to the S.

"Kunszentmarton" - Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities in Hungary. Located south of Budapest, the synagogue was restored as a cultural center including a concert hall and gallery: Bartók Béla Hall (Deák Ferenc u. 20). The synagogue was built in 1911-12 and combines traditional Jewish symbolism with Hungarian designs in Art Nouveau style. It functioned for worship until 1964, when the official Hungarian Jewish community sold it. It was used as a furniture warehouse and then left vacant. Restoration work was initiated by municipal authorities in 1990s. [February 2009]

Jewish cemetery: The cemetery at the corner of Madách and Nádor Streets is maintained by the local youth council. [March 2009]

Last Updated on Saturday, 02 April 2011 12:03