You are here: Home Eastern Europe Hungary KORMEND: VAS
KORMEND: VAS PDF Print E-mail

47°01' 16°36', 195 km WSW of Budapest. Körmend in Transdanubia (west of the Danube river) had a 2005 population of 12,379. Körmend is known as the "town of storks", for the rare black stork that nests in the district. The name Körmend cines from Turkic "Curmend", neabubg  "a shallows, a fortified place", or possibly "a castle". The community probably belonged to the main congregation of Rohoncz, but in 1705, established the Chevra Kaddisha. Shtetlink and yizkor [February 2009]

Körmend Jewish Old Cemetery: oldest gravestone dates from 1717. This cemetery became a park during the communist regime. The tombs were exhumed and reburied in a common grave within the new cemetery. This cemetery was filled by 1851. [February 2009]

Körmend Jewish New Cemetery: photo The Prince donated 1,806 units of land to the community in a document prepared in Vienna and dated December 30, 1851. Cemetery caretaker is Ernő Horváth, Bartók ltp. 11. Its size is 0.70 ha. [February 2009]

Last Updated on Saturday, 01 August 2009 11:53
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution