Hodász cemetery caretaker is mayor's office. [March 2009]
HODASZ: US Commission No. 000041
Hodasz is located in Szabolcs-Szatmar-Bereg at 47º55' 22º13', 14km from Matetzalka. Cemetery: Dozsa Gyorgy ut. Town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The pre-WWII Jewish population (census) was 191. The Jewish cemetery was established in 19th century with last known Hasidic Orthodox burial 1944. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission via a fence with a locking gate. Pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.16 hectares. 20-100 gravestones, 1-20 not in original location and 25-50% toppled or broken, date from 19th-20th centuries. The marble, granite, limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones or finely smoothed and inscribed stones have Hebrew inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. No known mass graves or structures exist. The national Jewish community owns the cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential. Boundaries are unchanged since 1939. The cemetery was not vandalized since local non-Jewish residents and Jewish individuals abroad cleared vegetation and fixed wall and gate in 1985. Occasional individuals clear or clean. Weather erosion is serious threat; and vegetation is moderate threat. Peter Wirth completed survey on 10/12/91 and visited site on 06/12/1991. Interviewed was Pap Erzsebet at Hodvasz on 06/12/1991.
- Local: Polgarmesteri Hivatal of Hodasz Petofi u. 6.
- Regional: Budapesti Orthodox Hitkozseg, of Dob u.35, H-1075 Budapest Phone: (011-361) 132-4333.
- Keyholder: Pap Erzsebet of Hodasz (left in a hut on the compound) Dozsa Gy. ut.
Last Updated on Monday, 09 March 2009 21:37