The 1774 census mentions Jews (settled by special permission mainly as merchants with a few craftsmen and farmers). An independent congregation with Nagyvarsony, they amalgamated in 1880 with the Kisvarda congregation. In 1925, Rabbi Roth Shmuel (rabbi of another independent congregation in Gyure) added Kopocsapati, Kisvarsany and Revaranyos. They had a Chevra Kaddisha, a cemetery, a mikvah, a gabbai, some melameds, and a slaughterhouse with shokhet. Without a synagogue, services were in private homes. The community, some tortured and robbed, suffered greatly during the Romanian occupation from the "Ragged Guard" irregular troops, who launched a pogrom against the Jews with tacit approval from the authorities. The first anti-Jewish laws ended economic stability. Starting in 1941, young men were taken for forced labor. In 1944, several Jews were emprisoned in Nyiregyhaza and tortured. After Passover 1944, the Jews of Gyure were forced onto wagons, taken to the Kisvarda ghetto, and then to Auschwitz in the first transport. After the war, most survivors left. By 1963, not one Jew lived in Gyure. Cemetery caretaker is the mayor's office. [February 2009
US Commission No. 000040
Gyure is located in Szabolcs-Szatmar-Bereg at 48º11 22º17, 6km from Vasarosnameny. Cemetery: 1 km from village in the fields (Land record-796 hrsz.). Town population is 1,000-5,000, with 1 Jew.
1930 population (census) was 122. Rabbi Rav Roth Smuel is buried or lived here. The Jewish cemetery was established in 18th century. Fulep Majsi is buried here. The last known Hasidic Orthodox Jewish burial was 1940. Nagyvarsany, Kisvarsany and Revaranyos, Kopocsapati (both 12km away) used this cemetery. The isolated rural/agricultural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by through fields on a track, access is open to all with no wall or gate. Pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.18 hectares. 20-100 gravestones,
1-20 not in original location and 25-50% toppled or broken, date from 19th-20th centuries. The marble and limestone flat shaped stones or finely smoothed and inscribed stones have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves or structures exist. The national Jewish community owns the cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Boundaries are unchanged since 1939. The cemetery was not vandalized since Jewish individuals within Hungary cleared vegetation in 1991. Occasional individuals cleared or cleaned. Security, erosion, and vegetation are serious threats.
Riczu Zoltan of Nyiregyhaza, Vasvati ut 74 completed survey on 1/11/91 using: Kisvarda es Kotnyeke Zsidosaga. He visited site on 01/11/1991. Interviewed was Goldstein Euginia on 01/11/1991 at Gyure, Vorosmarty ut 1.
|Last Updated on Monday, 09 March 2009 21:36|