GYONGYOS: Heves Print

Alternate names: Gyöngyös [Hun], Gondish [Yid]. 47°47' N, 19°56' E, 44 miles ENE of Budapest, 45 miles WSW of Miskolc. Jewish population: 2,453 (in 1880). JOWBR: Jewish Cemetery. ShtetLink

Jews lived in Gyöngyös by the 15th century. 1941 Jewish population: 2,429. In June 1944, they were deported to Auschwitz and murdered there; only 461 survived. An old synagogue built in the 18th century was burnt in a city fire in 1917. The 1930 former

See Jerry Zeisler's website. [August 2003. Updated May 2010]

Gyöngyös has four Jewish cemeteries. [March 2009]

Cemetery: The first known burial place was in the north part of Felsővárosi (Upper town) and dates from the end of the 18th century. The Jewish part of the cemetery was very small and was full within a short period. overview photo. Called the "Upper Town" cemetery, the newer portion is the southern, part. The two parts of the cemetery are divided by a brook.   [May 2010]

Orthodox Jewish cemetery: 2600 Balassagyarmat, Hunyadi utca 24, Hungary. 06 35 505-985map and photo. [May 2010]

Jewish cemetery: 2616 Keszeg, Temető út, Hungary. 06 35 380-061map and photo. [May 2010]

Jewish Cemetery: west of the town on the south side of the road to Gyöngyöstarján. Surrounded by fields and a stone wall, the cemetery dates from 1837. In 1951, the oldest gravestones were moved here from the former Jewish cemeteries (pre-1824 and pre-1837). Hundreds of local tuff, red marble, and granite gravestones (the oldest from1680) and family vaults sit in a severly overgrown and neglected site . The oldest gravestones are local vulcanic tuff. The later ones are mainly red marble. Many granite obelisks from the second half of the 19th century remain. In the southern part of the cemetery is a Holocaust memorial and WWI memorial. The ruined mortuary sits by the side of the road near the main entrance. Photos. [May 2010]

State Road to Tarjáni Cemetery: Caretaker is Ferenc Waldner (Szent B. u. 4.). [March 2009]

Jewish Cemetery . [October 2011]synagogue building at 1 Szena Street, 3200 Gyöngyös was built by Lipót Baumhorn and György Somogyi architectural plans. photo. Jewish community history. [May 2010]
Last Updated on Monday, 10 October 2011 12:29