DREGELYPALANK: NOGR Print

 

Drégelypalánk Jewish cemetery [March 2009]

 

48°03' N 19°03' E. The Neolog and Orthodox Jewish community dates from
1877 with 34 Jews in 1941 and fewer than 10 in 2009. The last burial was 1935.
Jews from Hont, Ipolyvece, and Ipe?ské Predmostie
(Hungarian: Hidvég), within 10 km of the site, also used this rural,
wooded, hillside cemetery that is separate, but near other cemeteries with no
sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open
to all via a continuous fence with a non-locking gate. 20-100 granite,
limestone, and sandstone gravestones are visible in original location, two
rows, dating from 1902. The flat gravestones with carved relief decoration and
(1) double gravestones have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. Vegetation is a
seasonal problem. A Holocaust memorial exists. No mass graves. The national
Jewish community owns the site adjacent to the village cemetery. Care includes
patching one broken matzevah and clearing vegetation. The national Jewish
community owns the site with no caretaker or structures.  Esther Levinson, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it completed the
survey on July 31, 2009. She visited the site on September 2007.

Last Updated on Sunday, 02 August 2009 20:54