Cemetery caretaker is László Vajai. [March 2009]
US Commission No. 000059
Diszel is located in Veszprem (46º53 18º15), 5km from Tapolca. The cemetery is E of village on the slope of Hill Csobanc (land record 558/1 hrsz.). Town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
The pre-WWII Jewish population (census) was 31. There was a pogrom in 1919. The Jewish cemetery was established in 20th century with last known Hasidic Orthodox burial in 1919. The isolated rural/agricultural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a partial fence with unlocked gate. Pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.19 hectares.
20-100 gravestones, 1-20 not in original location with less than 25% are toppled or broken, date from 19th-20th centuries. Stones were relocated to another cemetery. The marble and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones or double tombstones have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. The cemetery contains special memorial monuments but no known mass graves or structures exist. The national Jewish community owns the cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Boundaries are unchanged since 1939. The cemetery was not vandalized since Jewish individuals within Hungary carried out restoration in 1960-70: patched broken stones, cleaned stones, cleared vegetation, and fixed fence. The regular caretaker is unpaid. There is no current threat to cemetery.
Peter Wirth completed survey on 10/18/91. He visited on 17/10/1993. Interviewed were Gelencser Ferenc and Marton Janos on 17/10/1993.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 10 March 2009 15:34|