CSANY: Heves Print

200 to 250 Jews lived in Csány around 1900. Their synagogue, torn down in 1957; was replaced with a house built from the synagogue bricks. The Jewish butchery building still stands. [March 2009]

 

Csány Jewish cemetery: 15 stone gravestones, some knocked over, are in the cemetery located at the edge of town and accessible through Temető Street. Surrounded by farmland, plastic greenhouses, and garbage including a dung-hill and without a fence, the site is overgrown with acacia and other foliage that make it inaccessible even in winter. Marble gravestones are completely missing. The cemetery urgently needs cleaning and fencing before balance of the gravestones become building material. [March 2009]