Cemetery: The Jewish cemetery is located at the end of Kőbányai Road, 150 m past the car repair workshop on a path on the left side going up the hill towards the general cemetery inside the acacia woods. Unused since WWII, elderly inhabitants of Budakalázs remember its location and claim gravestones existed long ago. In 2004, the cemetery was severely overgrown with acacia. The cemetery was cleared in 2005. Some gravestones lying on the ground were found in it. photos [February 2009]
US Commission No. 000034
Budakalász is located in Pest (47º37 19º03), 19km from Budapest. Cemetery: NW of center. Town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The pre-WWII Jewish population (census) was 52. The Jewish cemetery was established in circa 1900, last known Neolog burial was 1943. The suburban hillside, separate but near other cemeteries, no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all, with no wall or gate. Pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.02 hectares
1-20 gravestones, 50-75% are toppled or broken, date from 20th century. The marble, limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. There are no mass graves or structures. The national Jewish community owns the cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural, residential, Christian cemetery and waste dumping. Boundaries are unchanged since 1939. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years, but not since local non-Jewish residents did restoration in 1991: vegetation cleared. The care now is by occasional cleared or cleaning by individuals. Security, vandalism, and erosion are serious threats. Pollution and vegetation are moderate threats.
Tamas Peter completed survey and visited site on 10/27/91.
|Last Updated on Monday, 09 March 2009 15:34|