BODROGKERESZTUR: Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen Print

Bodrogkeresztúrcemetery, founded in the 18th century, sits on Dereszla Hill and is the home to the grave of Rabbi Sáje Steiner. Keys to the cemetery are with Mrs. Józsefné Kádas (Dózsa köz 9.). [March 2009]

ShtetLink [May 2009]

photo: gravestones of the Jewish cemetery and the protective building of the two rabbi tombs in 1985 [February 2009]

US Commission No. 000012

Bodrogkeresztur is located in Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen (48º10, 21º22), 63km from Miskolc. Cemetery: N of village, on hilltop, land record 243.hrsz. Town population is under 1,000, with no Jews.

  • Local: Pogarmesteri Hivatal of Bodrogkeresztur Kossuth utca 85. tel: 1.
  • Regional: Budapesti Orthodox Hitkozseg, of Dob u.35, H-1075 Budapest Phone: (011-361) 132-4333 and Budapest Orthodox Tagozat.
  • Caretaker: Nyaradi Istvan, Bodrogkeresztur, Felso ut. 62.
  • Interested: R. Rubin of 1325-53rd St. Brooklyn NY 11219, Salamon Rieder of 1617 54th Street Brooklyn NY 11204 and Steiner Saje's grandson's wife.

The pre-WWII Jewish population (census) was 535. Living here were Reb Eliazer London (first rabbi) between 1780 and 1796 and Reb Steiner Saje (1851-1925). The Jewish cemetery was established in 1767. The last known Jewish burial was 1979. The Jewish community was Baal-Sem Hasidic Orthodox, Sephardic Orthodox, Conservative, Progressive/Reform, and Neolog. The isolated rural agricultural crown of a hill has no sign, but has Jewish symbols on gate or wall. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a masonry wall with a locked gate. Keyholder: Sperka Margit Bodrogkeresztur Kossuth ut. 58 of Kadas Jozsene Bodrogkeresztur Kossuth ut. 65. Pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.26 hectares.

100-500 gravestones, 1-20 not in original location with 25-50% toppled or broken, date from 19th-20th centuries. No mass graves. Within the cemetery is an ohel. The marble, limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew, German ,and Hungarian inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces. The national Jewish community owns Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years, but not since Jewish individuals and groups within Hungary and Jewish individuals and groups abroad did restoration in 1980-91: patching broken stones, cleared vegetation, and fixed wall and gate. Jewish Congregation pays a regular caretaker (?). Weather erosion and vandalism are serious threats. Vegetation is moderate threat.

Lowy Lajos of Tokaj, Ratkoczi ut 41 and Peter Wirth completed survey and visited site on 10/29/91 using: Orban; Wirth; Zemplen Zsidosaganak Tortenete. Other documentation was inaccessible.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 11 May 2011 22:42