You are here: Home Eastern Europe Hungary ABONY: PEST
ABONY: PEST PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Abony [Hun], Abon, Nagyabony, Szolnokabony. In Pest-Pilis-Solt-Kiskun county, at 47°11' N, 20°00' E, one Jew  settled in 1745. 1767 census: eight. Jewish population was 233 in 1784 and 431 in 1930, peaking at 912 in 1840. The Jewish community was organized in 1771 as was the Chevra Kadisha. The first synagogue (1775) was for merchants, shopkeepers, artisans, peddlers and, from 1820, tenant farmers. From 1850 onward, Jews could own land. The new synagogue was built in 1825. A Jewish teacher was hired in 1788 for a Jewish school opened in 1766 and moved to a separate building in 1855. In 1869, a Neolog community was established. 1941 Jewish census:315 Jews and 16 converts under the racial laws. In early May 1944, the Jews were placed in a ghetto with the Jews from the neighboring villages of Abony district: Jászkarajenö, Kocsér, Tószeg, Törtel, Újszász, and Zagyvarékas. Shortly, they were transferred to the ghetto of Kecskemét and deported to Auschwitz in two transports: June 27 and 29. In 1946, the Abony Jewish population was 56, most of whom left after the 1948 communist takeover and the 1956 Revolution. By 1959, 19 Jews remained, then the Jewish community ceased. The synagogue is landmarked. yizkor. 1985 photo of the entrance portico of the synagogue at sy Deák F. utca 4. [February 2009]

 

Jewish cemetery: The key is at Ms. Pick Pál, Mikes Kelemen utca 1. [February 2009]

Last Updated on Sunday, 14 June 2009 19:12
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution