You are here: Home Eastern Europe Hungary ABAUJSZANTO: BAZ
ABAUJSZANTO: BAZ PDF Print E-mail

The Eastern-style synagogue in Abaújszántó was built in 1913 in the town square (Jászay Square 15.). Today, a storage facility for Citizen Patrol. This town with 3,422 residents 17 km north of Szerencs in the Zemplén hills was an important market town of the Tokaj-hegyalja region for centuries. Famous for its  viticulture, handcrafts, and trade. There are four churches: the 14th century Gothic Roman Catholic church, the Calvinist church built in Baroque style in 1752; the late Baroque Lutheran church and the neo-Classical Greek Catholic church decorated with carvings. Several folk Baroque buildings and neo-classical dwelling-houses are landmarked.

 

Jewish cemetery: The victims of the Holocaust -- the Jewish people removed from Abaújszántó-- are honored in seven memorial plaques in the cemetery of the village. In good condition, the keys are held by Mrs. Jánosné Tallár (Dobó u. 18.). [March 2009]

Last Updated on Sunday, 14 June 2009 19:12
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution