|JEWS' GATE CEMETERY:|
Location: Windmill Hill, off Queen Road, Gibraltar
Thought to have been open in 1746, closed 1848.
Names from center area of cemetery: . "On the southern side of the Rock facing the coast of North Africa, the site had been a closed-off military area with over 200 years of accumulated soil and dust covering tombstones. The reduced military area has made access possible. Three or four graves were uncovered and cleaned as of 1984. At the center of the cemetery is a plot with a 1.5 meters high stone wall, containing the graves of ten to twelve community rabbis and leaders. Most Jews residing in Gibraltar arrived from North Africa and engaged in trade." Source: Freedman, Warren. World Guide for the Jewish Traveler. NY: E.P. Dutton Inc, 1984.
"The old Jewish cemetery contains the grave of Rev. R.H.M. Benaim in the ancient Jewish cemetery at Upper Rock." Source: The Jewish Travel Guide. London: Jewish Chronicle, 1992.
For a letter written by the Government of Gibraltar to the Jewish Community of Gibraltar on 17 May 1994 regarding his cemetery, see JCR-UK Letter re Windmill Hill Cemetery [D. Shulman, December 2011]
[UPDATE] Jews' Gate Cemetery Rededicated After Restoration [June 2015]
|Last Updated on Sunday, 07 June 2015 00:16|