You are here: Home United States Georgia GA MACON: Macon County
MACON: Macon County PDF Print E-mail


SYNAGOGUES: Temple Beth Israel and Sherah Israel

(AJA) American Jewish Archives, 3101 Clifton Ave. Cincinnati, Ohio 45220-2488; phone (513) 221-1875. (tel) 513-221-7812 (fax). This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it : List of burials in William Wolff Cemetery and the Hebrew Burial Ground, 1844-1983, compiled by Gus B. Kaufman and Marian Waxelbaum Kaufman of Macon in December 1983. Small Collections

Cremations: {10786} Source: The Jewish Burials of Macon, Georgia by Marian Waxelbaum Kaufman and Gus Bernd Kaufman, 1997 is well organized with detailed sketches of each cemetery showing gravesites and their full stone inscription.


Beth Israel's William Wolff: Faces on Madison. Opened by Congregation Beth Israel in 1879 in anticipation of the need for more space than Hebrew Burial Ground afforded and enlarged twice.


Congregation Sherah Israel: 1923 Started 1923. Congregation Sherah Israel took over Hebrew Aid Society.


The Hebrew Aid Society: Opened in 1899 by newly arriving Eastern Europeans, Congregation Sherah Israel gradually took it over. Essentially inactive now, some individuals elect to be buried there with family members.


The Hebrew Burial Ground: Dating from 1844, the site was used until the opening of William Wolff Cemetery of 1879.

  • Congregation B'nai Israel: Dating from 1870, in 1890 was called the "Polish Cemetery." The site probably became inactive when the Hebrew Aid Society opened its burial area.
  • Macon Memorial Park: {indexed} 4101 Mercer University Blvd. This non-denominational private cemetery uses only flat, standardized grave markers. Each grave has an insert for a flower vase and artificial flowers seem to be the norm
  • Old City Cemetery: {indexed} Between Poplar and Cherry Streets on Seventh St, the city used this site prior to 1840. Two burials might be Jews as are two others according to obituaries.
  • Riverside Cemetery: {indexed} Privately owned at 1301 Riverside Drive, Macon 31201 (912-742- 5328), the cemetery begins at Madison Street, across from William Wolff. The office in which to ascertain grave locations is on the corner. Website: [2000]
  • Rose Hill Cemeteries: {indexed}
  • The Workman's Circle: Organized in the 1920s, at the time of the first burial in 1930, this site also was called the Arbeiter Ring

Last Updated on Wednesday, 14 January 2009 23:06
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution