|TRIMBACH: (Bas-Rhin département, Alsace région)|
Also see Soultz-sous-Forêts
A synagogue constructed in 1798 became too small so towards the middle of the 19th century, it was replaced with another one in 1865. Nothing remains today except the name: "street of the synagogue". The Jewish censuses show 102 Jews in 1784, 183 Jews in 1846, 138 Jews in 1870, 92 Jews in 1910, and 5 in 1953. At the very least 12 native Jews of Trimbach disappeared in extermination camps. Trimbach was connected to the rabbinate of Soultz-sous-Forêts until 1930, then to that of Wissembourg. photos and information in French.
Le Cimetière Juif de Trimbach: The cemetery probably existed from the beginning of the 18th century. It was the burial place of the villages of Hatten, Niederroedern, Trimbach and from some families of Lauterbourg. In 1878, Niederroedern created the own burying ground and Hatten made one also in 1880. In 1755 a conflict regarding the burying ground of Trimbach took place between the communities of Niederroedern and Trimbach. Rabbi Lazarus Moyses de Haguenau was called in to mediate. (Source: RABBIN DE SOULTZ-SOUS-FORÊTS). The last entombment took place in 1930 (Kauffmann and Bloch families). Obviously, the burying ground of Trimbach, left abandoned since 1939, was vandalized on numerous occasions. Numerous plates of marble disappeared and some broken. Numerous stones are toppled or buried. The burying ground is in practice inaccessible, because it is pervaded by vegetation. An estimate by "triangulation" numbers of burials at 500 - 600, but some are no longer visible, buried or disappeared. In cooperation with GenAmi (IAJGS) and the Municipality of Trimbach, a challenge to preserve this only evidence of a flourishing community in 19th century has been made. This initiative, the creation of an association which will make easier accepting contributions has prompted some American descendants of the Trimbach families to donate. We seek other for the first stage: gathering to organize the rescue. To participate in the conservation of our heritage. Contact: Jean Camille Bloch. [January 2008]
|Last Updated on Sunday, 23 September 2012 13:43|