|SÉLESTAT: (Bas-Rhin département, Alsace région)|
Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4
(German: Schlettstadt) The ancient community of Sélestat that disappeared in the 16th century reformed in the 19th century. The oratory, dating from 1836 and installed in the "Stove of the Plowmen", was replaced with a synagogue constructed in 1890. Vandalized by the Nazis, the synagogue was restored after war without the original dome. The rabbinate of Sélestat dates from 1866 and replaces that of Muttersholtz. Synagogue and Community Center are at 7-9 rue Ste Barbe, Tél: 03 88 92 82 70. http://www.selestat-tourisme.com/en/ has general town information.
Cimetière: This cemetery that dates from 1620 is "contemporary of the beginning of the Thirty War War." It was created at the initiative of the Jews of Bergheim, Ribeauvillé and Dambach and thanks to the benevolence of the Count of Ribeaupierre, who also wanted the Jews to have their own place of burial. An existing registry has no recent burials. [January 2008]