You are here: Home Western & Southeastern Europe France Rosheim: see ROSENWILLER
Rosheim: see ROSENWILLER PDF Print E-mail
Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

http://www.rosheim.com/home/uk/home/index.php has general information about this typical Alsatian town, located at the foot of Mont Ste Odile, between the Piemont of the Vosges and the plain of Alsace. The first written document in 778 refers to the town as "Rodashaim". During the 11th century, Rosheim was composed of two power structures: the religious establishment--the Bishop and the noble families that created economic and administrative centers and contributed to the expansion of Rosheim. The most famous of these is the Hohenbourg Convent called today Mont Ste Odile. In 1132, Rosheim was destroyed by fire and totally rebuilt with partial financing by the Hohenstaufen, protectors of Mont Ste Odile Convent. They largely promoted the expansion and independence of several villages like Obernai and Rosheim.This act gave the Hohenstaufen more and more power in Alsace, which was unacceptable to their enemies who set fire to the town in 1197. During the first half of the 13th century, the Hohenstaufen ruled Rosheim. Emperor Frédéric II and the Bishop of Strasbourg negociated for the right to rule Rosheim causing conflicts with the Abbesse of Hohenbourg who increasingly lost influence and power. Around 1262, Rosheim was granted the status of city and acquired the autonomy. At the same time, it obtained the right to erect a stone rampart. Having become an imperial city in 1303, Rosheim joined nine other such cities to form the "Decapolis" in 1354. In 1366, the Emperor gave Rosheim the right to rule itself with total independence including its own statutes and to collect taxes enabling the construction of the wall. Due to its wine making trade and an active and prosperous class of burghers, Rosheim flourished.  [January 2008]

Cemetery:

 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution