You are here: Home Western & Southeastern Europe France MITTELHAUSEN: (Alsace)
MITTELHAUSEN: (Alsace) PDF Print E-mail
Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4


From twelfth century, Mittelhausen was part of the seigniory of Lichtenberg, then Hanau-Lichtenberg (in 1480) with Jewish families that the lords always authorized to live there. However, there never was enough Jewry in Mittelhausen to constitute an autonomous community. The Jews of Mittelhausen were attached to the neighboring community of Wingersheim, village dependent on the Grand Bailliage (Landvogtei) of Haguenau. Two Jewish families lived there in 1550. On December 29th, 1784 two Jewish families with a total of nine persons lived in Mittelhausen:     * the widow Jendel Abraham with her sons Wolff Abraham and Schmulen Abraham as well as his daughter Gutel Abraham and * Salomon David, couple from Blühm Abraham (daughter of the widow Jendel), with his son Abraham David and his two daughters Rittel David and Reiss David. The Jewry of Mittelhausen, as those of Wingersheim, were buried in the Jewish graveyard of Ettendorf created at the beginning of the fifteenth century. This graveyard was used by 26 Jewish communities as place of entombment. It is only at the end of the nineteenth century when the Jewish graveyard of Mommenheim was opened to the Jewry of Mittelhausen, Wingersheim and Mommenheim. [January 2008]

 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution