LE STRUTHOF: CONCENTRATION CAMP in Bas-Rhin département, Alsace région Print
Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4


From May 1941 until August 31, 1944, Le Struthof was used as a forced-labor camp mainly for political prisoners. More than 25,000 inmates were held here and made to work in large quarries nearby. Many thousands were executed on the command of Josef Kramer (known as the Beast of Belsen), including some Jewish prisoners upon whom experiments involving infectious diseases were performed. The camp was liberated on November 23, 1944. A cemetery, barracks, the front gate, and some isolated buildings are all that remain, along with a Memorial to the Deported dedicated by President Charles de Gaulle in 1960. See judaisme.sdv.fr. For more information contact the Direction Interdépartementale des Anciens Combattants et Victimes de Guerre, Service de Strasbourg. Cité Administrative, 67084 Strasbourg, tel. 03.88.76.78.99. Status of Jewish burials is unknown to date. [January 2008]