HOENHEIM: (Strasbourg-Champage arrondissement, Bas-Rhin département, Alsace région) Print

 

48° 37′ 30″ N 07° 45′ 19″ E. Five miles from Strasbourg, the 1999 population was 10,726. Relics and official reports certify the existence of a small group of houses on the territory of Hoenheim from the Neolithic age. The first mention of the name Hoenheim dates from742. At the end of the 9th century, the village of Hoenheim apparently was owned by the monastery Benedictine de Honau created by the nephews of Saint Odile (patron saint of Alsace). Under the Holy Roman Empire, Hoenheim was owned by the bishopric of Strasbourg that allocates its lands sometimes to knights, sometimes to religious communities. By the mid-14th century, the bishopric gave the fief of Hoenheim to knights. During the Hundred Years War, Hoenheim, as numerous villages, was subjected to the passage of "Écorcheurs" that tried unsuccessfully to take Strasbourg. By way of various noble families, the fief returned to the family of the Uttenheim de Ramstein in 1457 finally. In the 16th century, the lords of Uttenheim, sickened by the reckless adventures of the Church, joined the Reformation and with them the inhabitants of Hoenheim. During the Thirty Years War, Hoenheim, as Bischheim, were victim of the acts of violence of both camps. In 1649, after the treaty of Westphalia, putting an end to war, the majority of Alsace returned to Catholic France. In 1676 the last lord of Uttenheim died without issue. A quarrel of succession led in 1681 to the thrimph of the family of Rathamhausen de Stein. In 1681 the imperial free city of Strasbourg is besieged by the troops of the King of France. In 1689, the elder branch of Rathamhausen left and the fief of Hoenheim returned to Strasbourg. The bishop of Strasbourg on May 21st, 1691 gave it to the marquis of Chamlay, general field marshal of the camps and armies of France. In 1719, the field marshal of Chamlay diedwithout issue. The bishop of Strasbourg, (Armand Gaston Maximilian de Rohan), transmitted the fief in the family Klinglin with the full trust of royal and local authorities. The royal lender, François Joseph de Klinglin (baron de Hattstatt, lord d' Illkirch and of Graffenstaden, Oberbergheim, Bilzheim, Zillisheim, Munwiller and other places, State adviser and Royal Lender in Strasbourg that coveted Illkirch and Graffenstaden for a long time) obtained the town in 1735 by exchanging the fief of his family, for Hoenheim -- both villages. With an unparalleled impudence, he stole and wronged both villages as well the city of Strasbourg. On March 4th, 1790, Hoenheim was attached to the new region of Strasbourg during the forming of French departments. The same year, at the instigation of Schiltigheim, the common public pasture in Souffelweyersheim, Hoenheim, Bischheim, Adelshoffen and Schiltigheim was included, the creation of an enclave of Bischheim. On October 2nd, 1791, all property of Klinglin and the monks was confiscated by the village and sold to the inhabitants. In 1792, emigrants, allied with Austro-Prussiens started hostilities to take back power in France. From October until December, 1793, battles between the troops of the République Française and Austro-Prussiens were stabled in Hoenheim - Griesheim-sur-Souffel - Dingsheim before Austro-Prussiennes troops were pushed back out of Alsace in January 1794. In 1793, the village of Hoenheim was attached to the district of Hausbergen. On February 17th, 1800, Hoenheim was attached to the new arrondissement of Strasbourg. In 1813, Napoleon's campaign against Russia ended in disaster. In January, 1814, the French troops folded up in Strasbourg in front of attacks by the Cossacks established in Hoenheim, Bischheim and Schiltigheim. Then, Napoleon, beaten, was exiled on the island of Elbe. However his escape drew the return of the united troops that had just left. Further, after the defeat of Waterloo, general Jean Rapp, had intentions to annexation of Alsace and formed a line under the orders of Louis XVIII and continued fighting on Souffel, near Hoenheim. On June 28th and 29th, 1815 at the battle of Souffelweyersheim-Hoenheim, the coalition won. Strasbourg was taken. 1852 was the year of new communications passing by the area around Hoenheim, but outside the village. The first one is the channel of the Marl in Rhine that linked Vitry-le-François to Strasbourg. The second is the Paris-Strasbourg railway. July 19th, 1870 he Franco-Prussian War of 1870-1871 broke out. On August 7th, just after the Battle of Frœschwiller-Wœrth, Germans troops arrive at Hoenheim. Troops became established in Reichstett and Strasbourg on August 12th, ordering the inhabitants of the surrounding area to supply the troops. On September 27th, Strasbourg, burned down by the uninterrupted bombings, went. The Treaty of Frankfurt signed on May 10th, 1871 ended the war. Among the conditions, France had to give up the three departments of Alsace-Moselle, keeping the Territory of Belfort only. Between 1871 and 1919, Hoenheim was attached to "Kreises Straßburg (Land)". In 1875, on a 30 hectare area, ten rail workshops of Bischheim opened on the new rail line linking Strasbourg to Lauterbourg. On April 5th, 1877, "Strassburger Pferdereisenbahngeselshafft" ("Company of Strasbourg Horse-drawn Railway") is founded that ordered the building of the first two lines of trolley cars in Strasbourg, the lines Kléber-Pont in Rhine and Kléber-Hoenheim. The construction started on March 26th, 1878. On October 14th, 1878, the first trolley car makes worked from Kléber - Hoenheim. In 1906 the railway station of Hausbergen is inaugurated, stretching over the territory of several villages including Hoenheim. The First World War did no material damage in the village, but killed numerous men at the front. The Ttreaty of Versailles of 1919 restored Alsace-Lorraine to France. June 28th, 1919 the district Bischheim - Hoenheim was attached to the new arrondissement of Strasbourg-Champagne. A reorganization of the trolley happened in 1937. On September 2nd, 1939, the inhabitants of villages ahead of the line Maginot were evacuated. The inhabitants of Hoenheim, Bischheim and Schiltigheim were sent to the Valley of Bruche to join those from Niederhaslach. Alone, a secretary of town hall and some firefighters stayed in place. September 3rd, 1939 United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand and France declare war on Germany. During the Nazi Occupation, Hoenheim is administratively attached to the Haut-Strasbourg. May 27th, August 11th and September 25th, 1944 saw bombing by the Allies of Strasbourg and its outskirts: Junkers plants in Meinau, rail workshops in Bischheim and railway switching station in Hausbergen. November 23rd Strasbourg was liberated by the 2nd DB of General Leclerc, which left care in local troops to liberate the outskirts. In January 1945, the Battle of Ardennes deployed Allied troops in an offensive with Germans north of Alsace. De Gaulle refused American order to evacuate Strasbourg; and the French troops pushed back the Germans who had arrived at Offendorf. However, Hoenheim and surroundings remained under the fire of the German batteries until April 1945.

Alte Friedhof Cemetery: Just behind and downhill the major office in Hoenheim. See Bischheim also.