FÉGERSHEIM: (Bas-Rhin département, Alsace région) : 67640 Print

Also see ERSTEIN

"Feg" is a familiar appellation to indicate the city in arrondisement Strasbourg-Champagne. Fegersheim is located in 12 km in the south of Strasbourg, between Andlau, Scheer and Ill. The discovery tombs dating the 3rd century BCE certifies an occupation of the site from the Celtic epoch. Vergersheim is named for the first time in the 11th century, the nunnery of the Benedictines of Eschau having an important ownership. Fegersheim and its annex Ohnheim belonged successively as an episcopal fief in Ochsenstein, Hanau-Lichtenberg and Rathsamhausen lords until The Revolution. In 1680, the court of the Sun King, followed by Bos-suet and by Mrs de Maintenon, stayed in Fegersheim, waiting for Mary Christine de Bavière, fiancée of the Big Dauphin with five days of dazzling holidays and public celebrations. Traditionally an agrarian village, Fegersheim became a delightful center at the end of the 19th century. The first synagogue dating from 1809 was enlarged by 1850 and replaced in 1894 with a new building. This last, vandalized in the course of WWII, was sold to an individual who destroyed it around 1974-75. Two stones of the building are kept in Foundation Elisa in Geispolsheim. Fégersheim was seat of a rabbinate transferred to Erstein in 1945. In 1933, Cajofé opened a toy factory. In 1962, the municipality created one of the first industrial zones of the area. [January 2008]

CEMETERY requires a key.In a field, located off N83 (west side), just north of the store but the key held at Fondation ELISA, open Sun.-Fri., 8am-4pm. Fondation ELISA is a retirement home, approximately one mile north of the cemetery. This is a walled and gated cemetery, with both gates chained and locked. Although it is obviously still in active use, it was in extremely poor condition with an estimated 700 visible graves. The oldest section is in the middle, closer to the side gate. The maintenance hut was unlocked. There was evidence of fairly recent vandalism including swastikas and anti-Semitic slogans painted on the walls. Some stones clearly had been overturned deliberately, etc. As to any upkeep, weeds were cut down, but rains, etc. have created gullies and have washed the earth away from under stones and slabs, leaving large, gaping holes there. We were unable to determine on that visit exactly who was the person in charge of the cemetery. Source: Dan and This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ,  [1998]

The still active cemetery with approximately 700 graves was probably created in the 18th century. Prior to that, the dead of the Jewish community were buried in Rosenwiller. The oldest part is the cemetery was a building (Taharahaus) in the area recognizable by the simple sandstone tombstones. The cemetery is located about 1 km north of the village, directly west of the bypass road N 83 (rue de Lyon). photos. [October 2013]

Last Updated on Tuesday, 01 October 2013 17:24