International Jewish Cemetery Project - England
For Community Information, see York on JCR-UK.
For the Jewish Community in York prior to 1290, see Medieval York on JCR-UK
"Arrangements have been made between ...[the Leeds Old Hebrew C]ongregation and the newly-formed congregation at Doncaster whereby the former are granting burial facilities in their cemetery at Gildersome. A similar arrangement .......... is still in operation with the York Congregation." [Jewish Chronicle 26 June 1914, page 32 - Source: Harold Pollins]
Baile Hill: "There is a mound of earth close by the River Ouse called Baile Hill, upon which stands Clifford's Tower built in the 13th century to replace a wooden Norman tower burned during the "Jewish riots" of 1190. It has a plaque describing what happened." Source: Freedman, Warren. World Guide for the Jewish Traveler . N.Y.: E.P. Dutton Inc, 1984.
Excavation for a new supermarket uncovered human remains in the city of York about twenty years ago. Historians were aware that the local Jewish community had purchased land in the York suburb of Barkergate in 1230 from John Romanus, sub-dean of the Church of Saint Peter of York. The bill of sale, held in York Minster Library, set a payment of two shillings per annum to the grantor for life and, after his death, to the vicars of the Church of York. This document, written in Hebrew and Latin, bears the signature of Aaron of York and other elders of that ancient and unfortunate Jewish community.