|WOLVERHAMPTON, West Midlands:|
For Community Information, see Wolverhampton on JCR-UK.
Jews Burial Ground, Blakenhall (disused)
Associated with the Wolverhampton Synagogue was a Jews’ Burial Ground in the Blakenhall area of
The Ohel has both a prayer hall, with four fine marble prayer plaques donated by the Hart family in 1906 and manufactured by local monumental mason’s Hopcraft, as well as Bet Tahara side room with the remnants of a pump and a coal fired water heater. The Ohel currently requires restoration. By the mid twentieth century the Burial Ground was almost full and the Ohel was beginning to deteriorate plus access to the secluded site was never easy for visitors. [Martin Rispin and All Saints and Blakenhall New Deal for Communities Heritage Project, November 2010]
Merridate Cemetery, Jeffcock Road : Jewish section
In 1965 Dr. Leslie Seaton, a well respected Wolverhampton physician, died and left provision for a new Jewish Section at Merridate Cemetery in Jeffcock Road complete with a modern Ohel. Dr. Seaton was the first burial on this site. The ‘new’ burial ground currently contains 60 burials, and has spaces for many more, although the 1960s Ohel was demolished in the 1980s as it had developed major structural problems and was never replaced, hence the large open space at the centre of the Jewish Section. [Martin Rispin and All Saints and Blakenhall New Deal for Communities Heritage Project, November 2010]
|Last Updated on Saturday, 13 November 2010 20:13|