You are here: Home British Isles England - other than London SUNDERLAND, Tyne & Wear:
SUNDERLAND, Tyne & Wear: PDF Print E-mail
This once thriving Jewish community is now reduced to a handful of individuals and no longer has a functioning synagogue. For Community Information, including searchable database of cemetery, see Sunderland on JCR-UK.

The following four cemeteries have been used, consecutively, by the Jewish community in Sunderland [Source: David Shulman, Ra'anana, Israel]:

Ayers Quay Cemetery: This is the earliest known of the Sunderland Jewish cemeteries, in use from about the 1770's until 1856.  Although it is estimated that up to 500 persons may have been buried at the cemetery, the site, some distance from where the Jewish community was located, has been neglected, is overgrown and has been the object of vandalism over the years.

All that remains visible and legible is a broken monument and two headstones. The monument bears the inscription - "This monument was erected by the children of David Jonassohn of Usworth Hall, Durham, in memory of his beloved parent who died on the 25th July 1859 in the sixty fourth year of ......".   One headstone is inscribed (in English) - "In memory of Leah Louise Lee, Widow of the late Aaron Levi Lee...", and the other stone bears the Hebrew inscription to Reb Moshe, son of Reb. Shlomo, who died aged 67 and whose date of death appears to be Friday 8 Nisan 5615 (which, if correct, corresponds to 25th May 1855).  The remaining text on the stones was not decipherable.

First Bishopwearmouth Cemetery: This plot, in use from 1856 to 1899, is at the northeastern corner of the main Bishopwearmouth Cemetery, adjacent to Hylton Road, Sunderland, and contains over 100 graves.  The inscriptions on many of the stones are still legible. A list of most of those known to be buried here appears as an Appendix to Arnold Levy's "History of the Sunderland Jewish Community 1755-1955", Macdonald & Co. (Publishers) Ltd., 1956.

Second Bishopwearmouth Cemetery: This cemetery, in use from 1899 to 1926, is situated in the central section of the western side of the main Bishopwearmouth Cemetery, Sunderland.

Third Bishopwearmouth Cemetery: This cemetery, dating from 1926 and still in use, is to the northwest of the main Bishopwearmouth Cemetery, Sunderland.  It is accessible from Hylton Road.

JOWBR burial listings [August 2010]
Last Updated on Sunday, 31 July 2016 15:55
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution