|PLYMOUTH, Devon (2 burial sites):|
For information on the Jewish community and congregations of Plymouth, see Plymouth on JCR-UK. The Plymouth Jewish Community dates from the eighteenth century and Plymouth Synagogue (founded in 1761) is the oldest extant Askkanazi synagogue in the English-speaking world.
The earliest known burial dates from 1744, when permission was granted for the burial of a Jew on what was then a private plot of land on the historic Hoe, owned by a local Jewish women, Sarah Sherrenbeck.Subsequent burials took place within this original garden. It was shortly thereafter extended, in 1758, by the purchase adjoining land and the grounds were further extended in 1811 and 1815. The cemetery is no longer in use but is still maintained by the community. Source: David Shulman, Webmaster JCR-UK [June 2016].
See also tombstone inscriptions from Plymouth's Old Jewish Cemetery and Jewish Cemeteries in the West of England by Rabbi B. Susser, both part of the Susser Archivs on JCR-UK. Source: David Shulman, Webmaster JCR-UK [December 2008].
See also Cemetery Scribes - Plymouth Hoe Cemetery [January 2017].
Access: It is locked and visits are by appointments through Plymouth Synagogue.
This cemetery was opened in 1868 and adjoins the Municipal Old Cemetery, near Central Park. It has a small ohel (chapel) built in 1958. Source: David Shulman, Webmaster JCR-UK [June 2016].
Access: The cemetery is on an incline and can be viewed from the alleyway at the rear of Gifford Place. It is locked and visits are by appointment via Plymouth Synagogue.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 10 January 2017 20:21|