For Community Information, see Oxford on JCR-UK.
The Jews Garden: In 1177, Jews were allowed to purchase land outside London. The first purchase in Oxford was land for a cemetery known as "The Jews Garden".
A new Jewish cemetery to the east of the town centre, outside the East Gate, on the west bank of the River Cherwell, was in use from 1231 until 1290. It is now part of Magdalene College and was transferred to the opposite side of the road, now the Botanical Gardens.
Wolvercote Cemetery: Banbury Road, Wolvercote, Oxford, Oxfordshire, on corner of Five Mile Drive. Size of cemetery: proportion Jewish is below 5% with 350 graves (and area currently allotted for about 350 more plots.) The first Jewish burial was April 1894. Cemetery's keyholder (caretaker?) is Oxford City Corporation. Cemetery is open to public daily. Synagogue associated with cemetery is Oxford Jewish Congregation, 21 Richmond Road, Jericho, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1 2JL, UK. Phone/fax numbers: +44 865 53042. Contact: Lionel Wollenberg, President; submitted by: Lionel (Ariel) Moss, 46 Henley Street, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX4 1ES, UK, Tel: +44 865 793 006, Fax: +44 865 794 121
Jewish burial records in the Wolvercote Cemetery, Jewish section, have been uploaded to the Oxford Jewish Cemetery section of the Oxford Jewish Heritage website. [Source: Oxford Jewish Community News May 2012]. The section includes a map of the cemetery and a PDF file can be downloaded listing all Jewish burials in the cemetery. [November 2012].
|Last Updated on Sunday, 31 July 2016 18:47|