You are here: Home British Isles England - other than London NORTH SHIELDS, Tyne & Wear:
NORTH SHIELDS, Tyne & Wear: PDF Print E-mail
For Community Information, see North Shields on JCR-UK. (North Shields is within the Borough of North Tyneside)

Preston Road Cemetery, Jewish Section, Preston Road North, Preston, North Shields. Opened in 1856. Contains approximately 60 grave [David Shulman, Webmaster JCR-UK, July 2016]:

Advertisement in Jewish Chronicle, 19 September 1874]

This Congregation being compelled to purchase a space of ground for a Beth Chaim [in Hebrew] [sc cemetery, and being unable to accomplish this without aid, appeal to their brethren for assistance. Donations received - from Chief Rabbi, the Duke of Northumberland,- Lindsay MP, Hugh Taiken, Capt. Linskil, - Liddell MP, W.B. Beaumont. [Jewish Chronicle, 10 July 1857. Source: Harold Pollins]
North Shields has a freehold burial ground, and thus this congregation, which as a correspondent recently pointed out in our columns, should not neglect the dead when caring for the living"

Newcastle Reform Synagogue Cemetery also uses a section of the Preston Road Cemetery, situated at the other end of the main cemetery from Old Jewish Section..[David Shulman, Webmaster JCR-UK, July 2016]

Hawkies Lane (dating from about 1820) and Chirton. These were two other, now lost, early 19th century Jewish burial plots in North Shields. Those interred in the latter plot were reinterred at the Preston Road Cemetery in 1924.[David Shulman, Webmaster JCR-UK, July 2016]

[Note; The Hazelrigg Jewish Cemetery of the Newcastle Hebrew Congregation is also situated in North Tyneside, although not actually in North Shields - David Shulman, Webmaster JCR-UK, July 2016]

Last Updated on Sunday, 31 July 2016 15:57
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution