For Community Information, see Liverpool on JCR-UK.
"There is evidence of of an organised community before 1750. It appears to have had a burial ground attached. Little is known of this early community. It declined but in 1770 was reinforced by a new wave of settlers chiefly from Europe, who worshipped in a house in Upper Frederick Street, near the river, with a mikve and cemetery." [Source Jewish Year Book 2005]
Liverpool Jewish Archives are at the Liverpool Record Office, within in the Central Library on William Brown Street. The Jewish archives go back to 1780. In these archives are booklets and listings of almost all of the Jewish cemeteries and who was buried there. They typically detail date of burial, name, address of person at death, age and plot number. The problem is that almost all of it is in written form and in English and/or Yiddish. Although almost entirely in English, it is handwritten in script form. One has to look at the details very carefully to get spellings correctly. One of the problems is that these documents (and there are many), which cover almost all of the Jewish cemeteries from early 18th century to current date are not allowed to be taken from the Library archives. They can only be viewed on location and only with special permission and only via appointment.
CEMETERIES (in chronological order of opening)
Upper Frederick Street Jewish Burial Ground, which was situated in back garden of 133 Upper Frederick Street:
In use from 1789 to 1907. Cemetery of the Liverpool Old Hebrew Congregation. Burials removed to Broad Green Cemetery in 1913.
Oakes Street Jewish Cemetery, Boundary Place London Road, Liverpool L 3:
In use from 1802 to 1837. Cemetery of the Liverpool Old Hebrew Congregation. All burials reinterred in the Broad Green Cemetery.
Liverpool Old Jews' Burial Ground - Deane Road Cemetery, Dean Road, Fairfields, Liverpool L7: (Contact: +44 151 486 7549; www.deaneroadcemetery.com. Princes Road Synagogue: Tel: +44 151 709 3431; Web:www.princesroad.org)
Earliest legible headstone 1838 and in use until 1905. Was cemetery of the Liverpool Old Hebrew Congregation
Green Lane Jewish Cemetery, Green Lane, Tue Brook, Liverpool L13:
In use from 1839 (earliest headstone 1842) to 1921 (replaced by Long Lane Jewish Cemetery). In 2009 was totally overgrown & sealed. Entry physically impossible. Was cemetery of the now defunct Liverpool New Hebrew Congregation.
Rice Lane Jewish Cemetery, Hazeldale Road, Walton Liverpool L9: (Contact: +44 151 733 2292)
In use from 1896 to 1983. Cemetery independent, not affiliated to any single congregation.
Broad Green Jewish Cemetery, Thomas Drive, Liverpool L14 (Contact: Princes Road Synagogue: Tel: +44 151 709 3431; Web:www.princesroad.org, Caretaker +44 151 228 3127)
Opened 1904 and still in use. Cemetery of the Liverpool Old Hebrew Congregation. Includes remains of Oakes Street Jewish Cemetery.
Long Lane Jewish Cemetery, Long Lane, Fazakerly, Liverpool L9: (Contact: +44 151 733 2292)
In use from from 1921 to 2008. Successor to Green Lane Cemetery, a cemetery of the now defunct Liverpool New Hebrew Congregation.
West Derby Cemetery, Jewish Section, Lower House Lane, Liverpool L11: (Contact: +44 151 733 2297).
Opened 1927 and now closed except for reserve plots. Cemetery for the Liverpool Federated Jewish Burial Society and not affiliated to any single congregation.
Springwood Jewish Cemetery: Springwood Avenue Woolton, Liverpool. (Contact: +44 151 733 5871).
Still in use. Cemetery of Childwall & Allerton Hebrew Congregations
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 30 November 2016 14:30|