HULL, Yorkshire: Print
For Community and Synagogue information, see Hull on JCR-UK.

For details of burials and for a key to visit a cemetery, please write to the Hull Jewish Archives, 30 Pryme Street, Anlaby, Hull HU10 6SH

See article on Hull's Six Jewish Cemeteries by David Lewis (2005) on JCRUK, which covers the following cemeteries:

Villa Place Cemetery

The first Jewish cemetery in Hull, believed to have been founded in about 1780 and was closed in 1812. It is situated in an area once known as the Manor of Myton and Tupcoates, also called Villa Place and now off Walker Street.It held approximately 50 burials. For addition details, see article by David Lewis (2005) on JCR-UK. [Source: David Shulman, Webmaster JCR-UK]

Hessle Road Cemetery

The second Jewish cemetery in Hull. Initially leased to the community by William Bell, an auctioneer, in June 1812, it was bought by the community in 1819 and remained in use until May 1858. It is on the south side of what was formerly known Patrick's Ground Lane, now Hessle Road. There was room for about 120 graves although only about 75 burial are believed to have taken place. There may have been another Jewish cemetery in use in Hull at the same time whose whereabouts are unknown. For addition details, see article by David Lewis (2005) on JCR-UK. [Source: David Shulman, Webmaster JCR-UK]

Delhi Street Cemetery:

The third known Jewish cemetery in Hull, situated on the corner of Delhi Street and Hedon Street. It opened in 1858 and was extended in by land to the east (between 1894 and 1908). The northern section of the cemetery was a separate cemetery from 1903, when the Hull's Western Synagogue split with the main Hull Hebrew Congregation (which became the Hull Old Hebrew Congregation). However, the two congregations (and, accordingly, the cemeteres) were re-united in 1994. The cemetery suffered damage from bombing during World War II and from vandals in 2002. It is still in use (as of 2005), primrily the norhern (formerly Western Synagogue) section, but almost full. For addition details, see article by David Lewis (2005) on JCR-UK.  [Source: David Shulman, Webmaster JCR-UK]

JOWBR burial listings [August 2010]

Ella Street Cemetery

The fourth known Jewish cemetery in Hull, located in the Avenues area of Hull, about 1½ miles fnorth-west of the city centre. It was opened in 1889 and was the cemetery of the Hull Central Hebrew Congregation, which closed in 1976. It was also used by the Hull New Hebrew Congregation from 1928 to 1941 and contains approximately 740 burials. [Source: David Shulman, Webmaster JCR-UK]

Marfleet Cemetery

The fifth known Jewish cemetery in Hull, located next to St Giles Church in Church Lane, Marfleet. Established in 1935 by the Hull Old Hebrew Congregation, due to lack of space at its Delhi Street Cemetery. As of 2005, there were 450 graves.  [Source: David Shulman, Webmaster JCR-UK]

JOWBR burial listings [August 2010]

Tranby Lane Jewish Cemetery, Anlaby.

This is the cemetery of the Hull Reform Synagogue and the most recent Jewish cemetery established in Hull, opened 1975. It is the Jewish Section of the Anlaby Cemetery, owned and maintained by the East Riding of Yorkshire Council. [Source: David Shulman, Webmaster JCR-UK]

Last Updated on Thursday, 11 February 2016 14:37