|GLOUCESTER, Gloucestershire (2 burial sites):|
For information on the former Jewish community of Gloucester, see Gloucester on JCR-UK.
This small hedged plot in the north-west of the Coney Hill Cemetery contains the remains from the old Gloucester Jewish Burial Ground (see below) that re-interred here in 1938. Some 27 gravestones survive, the oldest dating from 1886. [David Shulman, Webmaster JCR-UK, July 2016]
See Jewish Cemeteries in the West of England by Rabbi B. Susser (available on JCR-UK as part of Susser Archive).
The epitaphs on the gravestones at the Gloucester Cemetery are listed in the section on Gloucester in The Rise of Provincial Jewry by Cecil Roth, 1950 (also available on JCR-UK as part of the Susser Archive).
See also Cemetery Scribes - Gloucester. [January 2017]
ACCESS: The cemetery is open during usual cemetery visiting hours. Entrance is vis Coney Hill Road.
In 1938 this Jewish burial ground was cleared (with the sanction of the Board of Deputies of British Jesws), to make way for a children's playground, and the remains (some dating from as early as about 1760) were moved to Coney Hill Cemetery (see above). [David Shulman, Webmaster JCR-UK, July 2016]
|Last Updated on Sunday, 08 January 2017 19:03|