|EXETER, Devon (two burial sites):|
For information on the former Jewish community of Exeter, see Exeter on JCR-UK. Exeter is one of the oldest Jewish communities in the UK, the synagogue having been built in 1763.
The cemetery dates from 1757, having been held on a lease which has expired without anybody noticing. However the oversight was rectified in 1977, when the freehold was acquired by the congregation for 750 pounds. The cemetery contains over 110 burials.
The Exeter Synagogue Archives on JCR-UK provides a History of the Cemetery and Details of Burials (which includes English and Hebrew gravestone inscriptions - many no longer extant - photographs of all extant stones, together with certain additional information). There are also photographs showing various Views of the Cemetery. See also Jewish Cemeteries in the West of England by Rabbi B. Susser (part of the Susser Archive on JCR-UK). David Shulman, Webmaster JCR-UK [July 2014]
See also Cemetery Scribes - Exeter [January 2017]
Access: The cemetery is locked and the keys are held by Exeter Synagogue. Access is via a short slip road from Bulls Meadow Road, at the junction with Magdalen Street, opposite the Waynards Almhouses. The slip road leads first to the Dissenters Graveyard and then a residential building before reaching the Cemetery. As the Cemetery is much lower than Magdelen Street, much of the site can be clearly viewed from the street. David Shulman, Webmaster JCR-UK [May 2016]
The earliest burial dates from 1992. As of May 2016, there had been some 13 burials.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 08 January 2017 17:01|