BRIGHTON & HOVE, Sussex (4 burial sites): Print
For information on the Jewish community congregations of Brighton and Hove, see Brighton on JCR-UK.

See also the Jewish Sussex website for all things Jewish in Brighton, Hove and surrounding areas of East and West Sussex, including outlying communities in the rest of East and West Sussex. [August 2005]


CEMETERIES:

  • Florence Place Old Jewish Cemetery, Florence Place, off Ditchling Road, Brighton BN1

Brighton's first Jewish cemetery, Orthodox, opened 1826.
Photograph of the cemetery, taken by Rosemary and Derek Wenzerul, can be viewed on the Brighton Community page of JCR-UK.

See also Cemetery Scribes - Brighton Florence Place. [January 2017]

Access: at the end of Florence Place (a cul de sac). Generally locked, except by appointment.

 

  • Meadowview (or Bear Road) Jewish Cemetery, Meadowview Road, Bevendean Road, Brighton BN1, Tel: +44 1273 606961

Opened 1920, enlarged 1978, the current cemetery of the Brighton Orthodox Jewish Community.
Photographs of various headstones at the cemetery, taken by Gina Marks (in 2011), can be viewed on the website of the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain at: http://www.jgsgb.org.uk/members/Browse/BrightonCemetery/BrightonCemeteryPhotos.htm

 

  • Hove Cemetery, Jewish Sections - north side of Old Shoreham Road, west of fire station

Non-Orthodox Jewish cemetery - for information on obtaining key Tel: +44 1273 73534


MAUSOLEUM:

  • Sassoon Mausoleum:

Building at 83 St. George's Road and Paston Place, Kemp Town, Brighton, BN2 was the Mausoleum of Sir Albert Sassoon Family. Remains removed 1933. Now part of Hanbury Arms Public House.

See also Cemetery Scribes - Sassoon Mausoleum. [January 2017]

Last Updated on Tuesday, 03 October 2017 20:02