|BRADFORD, South Yorkshire (2 burial sites):|
For information on the Jewish community and congregations of Bradford, see Bradford on JCR-UK.
As part of a project funded by the UK Heritage Lottery Fund, JCR-UK has added a Searchable Database of the burials records, including photographs of all headstones, in both of the Bradford Jewish Cemeteries (listed below), consisting of over 400 internments at the Orthodox cemetery and over 200 internments at the Reform cemetery. Source: David Shulman, Webmaster JCR-UK [November 2012]
The Reform section is about 200 yards from the main gate of the cemetery, along the boundary wall with good access.Turn immediately right at the gate and follow the path. It is has been is use since 1877, There is a new section opened in 1983.
"The Reform Congregation was first established in 1873..... In the same year a Jewish burial ground was acquired..." [Jewish Year Book, 1910]
See also Cemetery Scribes - Bradford Reform. [January 2017]
The Orthodox section of the cemetery lies at the bottom of the hill next to the main entrance of the cemetery and has been in use since 1912. Larger than the Reform section, the tombstones and memorials largely conform to the more modest memorial requirements of orthodoxy, There is a small modern brick ohel at the entrance to the site. gravestone photos. [February 2010]
"Arrangements have been made between ...[the Leeds Old Hebrew C]ongregation and the newly-formed congregation at Doncaster whereby the former are granting burial facilities in their cemetery at Gildersome. A similar arrangement existed with Bradford until the congregation acquired a site of its own,......" [Jewish Chronicle 26 June 1914, page 32 - Source: Harold Pollins]
See also Cemetery Scribes - Bradford Orthodox. [January 2017]
|Last Updated on Sunday, 08 January 2017 12:31|