|ZALUZANY: Pribram, Bohemia|
cemetery photos [February 2009]
The founding date of the cemetery is not known, although probably the middle of the 18th century. The oldest tomb is from 1789, the latest from 1919. Inscriptions on tombstones are in Hebrew, Hebrew-German, and Hebrew-Czech. A mortuary has also been preserved and serves today as a barn. Address: 53833, Zájezdec [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000269
Alternate German name: Saluschan. Zaluzany is located in Bohemia, Pribram at 49º33 14º05, 16 km SSE of Pribram and 25 km NNW of Pisek. Cemetery: 250 meters NNW of the chateau. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was perhaps 17th century, recorded in 18th century. 1930 Jewish population was 4. Jews moved to big towns in second half of 19th century; about 75 people in 1849. This was the birthplace of Abraham Kohn (1807-1848), Reform rabbi of Lvov (Lemberg). The landmarked Jewish cemetery originated in allegedly in 16th century and was recorded in 1740 with last known Conservative Jewish burial in 1941. The isolated suburban hillside, at the crown of a hill, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.1563 ha.
1-20 stones date from 1779 to 19th century. The granite and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. Praha Jewish community owns cemetery. Adjacent properties are commercial or industrial and roads. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1945-1991 with no maintenance. Serious threat: vandalism. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, pollution and vegetation. Slight threat: weather erosion, existing and proposed nearby development.
Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 75 completed survey on 5 June 1992. Documentation: censuses of 1654, 1724, and 1930; Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries of Bohemia and Moravia (1980); 1983 letter of local historian, K. Zajicek; and Encyclopedia Judaica (Berlin). No site visits or interviews occurred.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 28 February 2009 00:51|