|ZAJEZDEC: Chrudim, Bohemia|
US Commission No. CZCE000416
Alternate name: Zajezdetz; Sajestetz in German. Zajezdec is located in Bohemia-Chrudim at 49º56 15º56, 10 km ESE of Chrudim and 15 km SE of Pardubice. Cemetery: 250 meters N of center. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was 1724. 1930 Jewish population was 1 family with 5. Peak Jewish population was before mid-19th century with about 30 families. Later, Jews moved to big towns. Congregation disbanded about 1894. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated in 18th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial probably in early 20th century. The isolated suburban location has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a private road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.2223 ha.
20-100 stones, about half in original location and less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 1789. The marble, granite and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves but has a pre-burial house. Praha Jewish community owns the site used for Jewish cemetery and pasture. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1945-1991. Now, there is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. Serious threat: vandalism. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access and weather erosion. Slight threat: pollution, vegetation, existing and proposed nearby development.
Vlastmila Hamackova, Zabelska 37, 312 15 Plzen; tel. office 02/231-06-34 and Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 23 August 1992. Documentation: censuses of 1724, 1837 and 1930; notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha; Chrudimsko a Nasavrcko, IV 1926); Jahrbuch fur israelische Cultusgemeinden Bohemens 1894-95); and Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries of Bohemia and Moravia (1980). No site visits or interviews occurred.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 28 February 2009 00:42|