|VSERUBY: Plzen-server, Bohemia|
photos. At the end of the 17th century German became the offical languague here. A small Jewish area founded probably dates from the 18th century. The synagogue was built in the 19th century and pulled down in 1989. The remains of cemetery situated on the edge of the village is very difficult to find. The last woman buried there in 1945 died during the death march. [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000206
Earliest known Jewish community was 1657. 1930 Jewish population was 18. Jews moved to big towns in second half of 19th century. The Jewish cemetery originated probably in 18th century with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial of local inhabitants in 1938 but one Jewish woman from death-march 1945. Chrancovice Ger: Chrantschowitz); Skupen Skupsch); Dolni Bela Unter-Biela, Bohmisch-Neutadtl), 5 km; 9 km; 7 km away, used this landmarked cemetery. Between fields and woods, the isolated hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 1595 sq. m.
20-100 stones, most in original location, date from 1759. The granite, limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew and German inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. Plzen Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred probably prior to World War II 1938 by Nazis, occasionally 1945-1991 with no maintenance. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access and vegetation. Slight threat: weather erosion.
Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 26 May 1992. No documentation was used. The site was not visited. Adolf Vesta in Stribro (deceased 1984), former regional Conservator of Historical Monuments, was interviewed.
|Last Updated on Friday, 27 February 2009 20:40|