You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czech Republic VIMPERK: Bohemia
VIMPERK: Bohemia PDF Print E-mail
Vimperk the current Arms

VIMPERK: (German: Winterberg) used the cemetery at Ckyne

Albert Popper (Czech: Vojtěch Popper; Hebrew : Avram; 1808 - 3 September 1889)  was a mayor of Vimperk and physician to the House of Schwarzenberg. Born in the village of  Březnice to a Jewish family, at the time of his birth the number of Jewish families in the Kingdom of Bohemia was strictly controlled by the Familianten quota , not abolished until 1848. During most of Popper's life (until 1867), Jews were prohibited from owning property, choosing their place of residence, attending public schools, or holding public office. Popper still was able to gain entry to the University of Vienna, where he earned his doctorate in Pharmacology in 1835 and then his medical degree, He settled in Vimperk where he established a pharmacy and served as the official doctor to the Schwarzenberg princes. At the time of the Vimperk fire of 1857, Popper was the town's mayor. After the fire, he implored the Habsburg monarchy for assistance. Emperor Franz Joseph came to Vimperk and was the guest of Albert Popper. The emperor agreed to provide imperial funds for repair and reconstruction. [February 2009]

 

map and photos: "The town Vimperk is often called "the gate of the Šumava mountains" or "the town below Boubín mountain", because it lies on the border of the Protected Landscape Area Šumava (Bohemian Forest) on the northern slope of Boubín mountain. It is a seat of the administrative and management of the Protected Landscape Area and National Park Šumava. Vimperk is situated on the Volyňka river 16 km NW of the town Prachatice. In the middle of the 13th century the castle was built here for the protection of the trade route called Zlatá Stezka (Golden Path). The settlement around the castle is first mentioned in 1263 and grew due to its good location. In 1359, a small town, during the Hussite Wars Vimperk was captured and burnt down in 1423. In 1479 ... it obtained a lot of privileges of royal towns and was fortified. During the 17th and 19th centuries the town burnt down several times with the majority of buildings destroyed. In 1904 the whole square was ruined by fire. The Renaissance chateau was founded between 1622 - 1624 in place of the original castle. The town walls were built after 1479 and connected the castle's fortification system. Parts of them and six bastions and the so-called Černá Brána (Black Gate) have been still preserved. The originally Gothic Church of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary, one of the oldest buildings in the town, stands in the eastern (lower) part of the square (with two fountains from the 18th century). Near the church, in the square, is a bell tower, which was built about 1500 and reconstructed in 1909. A few preserved half-timbered houses with shread heads, which were built in the 17th and 18th centuries, can be found in the town centre. Vimperk is one of several towns in the Šumava mountains with a tradition of glassworks and also printing. Shortly after the discovery of book printing the first two books and the first almanacs in Bohemia (maybe in Europe) were printed here. Timber-processing industry and textile factories traditionally have been here too. Many instructional and nature trails lead around the town. The branch of the Zlatá Stezka (Golden Path) leads along the way of the original trade route from the village Strážný to Vimperk. The instructional trail Údolím Vimperských Památek ("Through the Valley of Vimperk Landmarks") acquaints visitors with important sights of the town and its near surroundings. The forestry instructional trail goes on the slopes of Boubín mountain in the surroundings of Vimperk." [February 2009] NEARBY:

Mářský Vrch hill

instructional trail Sudslavická Stezka

Churáňov mountain

ruins of the Hus castle

settlement Kubova Huť

village Záblatí

village Zdíkov

small town Čkyně

small town Stachy

Last Updated on Friday, 27 February 2009 15:18
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution