You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czech Republic VIDNAVA: Sumperk, Silesia
VIDNAVA: Sumperk, Silesia PDF Print E-mail

 

Vidnava VIDNAVA also used the cemetery at Osoblaha.

 

US Commission No. CZCE000205
Alternate name: Weidenau in German. Vidnava is located in (Silesia) Slezsko-Sumperk at 50º22 17º11, 95 km N of Olomouc. Cemetery: 1 km SE. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Mayor Dr. Jan Pospisil, Mestsky Urad, 790 55 Vidnava; tel. 0645/67131.
  • Regional: Dr. Eduard Medera, Okresni Urad-Referat Kultury, ulica E. Benese, 787 01 Sumperk; tel. 0649/3441.
  • Interested: Okresni Vlastivedne Muzeum, Director Dr. Milos Melzer, Sady 1. Mahe, 787 01 Sumperk; tel. 0649/4070.

Earliest known Jewish community was 1726. Jewish population was 5 Jews in 1921 and 2 in 1930. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated in 1854 with last known Conservative Jewish burial before 1942. No other towns or villages used this cemetery between fields and woods, on an isolated hillside without sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via no wall, fence, or gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is about 0.15 ha.

There are no stones, special memorial monuments, known mass graves, or structures. The present owner of the forest property is unknown. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II with no maintenance. Moderate threat: pollution and vegetation. Slight threat: proposed nearby development.
Engineer arch. Jaroslav Klenovsky, Zebetinska 13, 623 00 Brno; tel. 0 completed survey on 1 March 1992. Documentation: J. Neugebauer: Beitrag zur Geschichte von Weidenau, Weid. 1874. The site was visited but not by Klenovsky. No interviews.

Last Updated on Friday, 27 February 2009 15:05
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution