You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czech Republic VETRNY JENIKOV: Jihlava, Bohemia
VETRNY JENIKOV: Jihlava, Bohemia PDF Print E-mail

Větrný Jeníkov 2004 · Smrčná 2004 ... map and photos: "The town Větřní is situated on the Vltava river about 6 km south of the town Český Krumlov. Větřní is first mentioned in 1347, when the original settlement, which had been under the ownership of the Rožmberks before, was sold to the Višeň family from Větřní. This family owned the village imto;1603, when the town Český Krumlov bought it. There used to be a fortress in the town. It was rebuilt at the end of the 17th century and then was used as a school. The Church of St. John Nepomucene, which stands above the town near the road in the direction of the village Frymburk, was built at the end of the 1930's. The paper-making production has been traditional in Větřní. The paper mill was founded on the outskirts of the town after a big fire at the former paper-mill in Český Krumlov. The production and importance of the paper mill grew as it became one of the biggest South Bohemian paper-mills." [February 2009]

town photos [February 2009]

 

US Commission No. CZCE000204

Alternate German name: Windig-Jenikau. Town is located in Bohemia-Jihlava at 49º27 15.29, 10 km NW of Jihlava. Cemetery: 1.5 km S. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Mayor Miroslav Vasicek, Obec urad, 588 42 Vetrny Jenikov; tel. 866/95294.
  • Regional: Engineer arch. Milena Nikiforova, Orenski urad-Referat Kultury, Tolsteho ul, 586 01 Jihlava; tel. 866/23191.
  • Interested: Muzeum Vysociny, dir. RNDr. Ortwin Tauber, Masarykovo namesti 57/58, 586 01 Jihlava; tel. 866/20091.

Earliest known Jewish community was beginning of 18th century. Jewish population was 2 in 1921 and 0 in 1930. Jewish community disbanded about 1850. The Jewish cemetery originated in 17th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial in end of 19th century. Usobi, 5 km away, used this landmarked cemetery (Nr. 5388 S.M) The isolated rural (agricultural) hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.096 ha.

100-500 stones, all in original location, date from 1700-20th century. The marble, granite and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew and German inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces. The cemetery contains no special memorial monuments, structures, or known mass graves. Brno Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1981-91. There is no maintenance. Serious threat: vegetation. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion and vandalism. Slight threat: pollution, existing and proposed nearby development.

Engineer arch Jaroslav Klenovsky, Zebetinska 13, 623 00 Brno; tel. 0 completed survey on 1 March 1992. Documentation: Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries of Bohemia and Moravia (1980). Other exisiting documentation was not used. No site visits or interviews occurred.

Last Updated on Friday, 27 February 2009 13:00
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution