|VELKA BUKOVINA: Nachod, Bohemia|
Jewish cemetery: The cemetery was founded probably in the 18th century; the oldest tombstones are from 20th century, Baroque and Classical tombstones. Address: 55204, Chvalkovice. The Jewish street was built as a village ghetto probably in the 18th century or around 1800. The houses (some curbed) are mostly intact. Address: 55204, Chvalkovice map
US Commission No. CZCE000414
Alternate name: Gross-Bok in German. Velka Bukovina is located in Bohemia-Nachod at 50º25 15º59, 14 km W of Nachod and 24 km NNE of Hradec Kralove. Cemetery: 700 meters N. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was probably late 17th century or early 18th century. 1930 Jewish population was 2. Peak Jewish population was first half of 19th century with 18 families permitted. Independent congregation was established probably in late 19th century with synagogue used until about 1906. The Jewish cemetery originated in first half of the 18th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial in early 20th century. The flat isolated rural (agricultural) site has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private field, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is approximately 0.11 ha.
100-500 stones, most in original location date from 1737-20th century. The sandstone flat shaped stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones or obelisks have Hebrew and German inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves, structures, or special sections. Praha Jewish community owns cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1945-1991 with no maintenance. Moderate threat: vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion.
|Last Updated on Friday, 27 February 2009 11:53|