|USTEK: Litomerice, Bohemia|
This small town in the Ústí nad Labem Region is located 16 km NE of Litoměřice with a population of 2,719 (2006). The town's medieval houses with Gothic gables have been preserved including a rare looking tower-like building. After reconstruction, the former synagogue will serve as a location for cultural events. cemetery photos and town website [February 2009]
Burial list [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000196
Alternate name: Auscha in German. Ustek is located in Bohemia-Litomerice at 50º35 14º21, 15 km ENE of Litomerice and 22 km ESE of Usti nad Labem. Cemetery: 1 km SW. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with than 10 Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was probably 16th century. 1930 Jewish population was 53. Nazis expelled Jews in 1938. Unlandmarked cemetery probably originated in 16th century with last known Progressive/Reform community Jewish burial in 1937. The isolated suburban hillside, between fields and woods, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is approximately 2500 sq. m.
100-500 stones, most in original location, date from second half of 16th century-20th century. The marble, granite, sandstone and iron flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones, multi-stone monuments or obelisks have Hebrew and German inscriptions. Some tombstones have iron decorations or lettering and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves but has special section for children and a pre-burial house ruin. Usti nad Labem Jewish community owns Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1945-1991 with no maintenance. Very serious threat: uncontrolled access. Serious threat: vandalism. Moderate threat: pollution and vegetation. Slight threat: weather erosion and existing nearby development.
Jan Marek, Na hranici 208, 405 05 Decin and Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 15 May 1992. Documentation: Jarschel: Geschichte der Stadt Auscha (1922); Marhonz: Ustecko (1981); and notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum. The site was not visited. Ms. Chudobova, Kamenna 127, 411 45 Ustek and J. Krnak (chimney sweep) of Ustek were interviewed.
|Last Updated on Friday, 27 February 2009 16:42|