You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czech Republic UHERSKE HRADISTE: Zlin, Moravia
UHERSKE HRADISTE: Zlin, Moravia PDF Print E-mail

Uherské Hradiště [Hungarian: Magyarhradis] lies on the Morava river. Uherské Hradiště was founded in 1257 by the Czech King Otakar II. A center of the Moravian Slovakia, this region is known for its traditional folklore, music, wine, and costumes. The historic town center is preserved. town image and website (in Czech) The Synagogue rebuilt in 1904 in the Art Nouveau style and topped with a copula was defiled by the Nazis during WWII. Following the war, it served for cultural purposes and since 1967 as the Library of Bedřich Beneš Buchlovan. The first stage of the synagogue’s reconstruction after the floods was completed in 1999. [February 2009]

Synagogue from 2008 article and from glass negative [February 2009]


US Commission No. CZCE000191

Alternate name: Ungarisch-Hradisch in German. Uherske Hradiste is located in Morava-Uherske Hradiste at 49°3′57″N 17°27′30″E , 70 km E of Brno. Cemetery: 1.5 km S, Solna cesta-Str. Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with than 10 Jews.

  • Town: magistrate Engineer Ladislav Supka, Mestsky Urad, Masarykovo namesti 19, 686 01 Uherske Hradiste; tel. 8632/3768.
  • Local: PhDr. Jaroslav Mikulik, Mestsky Urad-Referat Kultury-Masarykovo namesti 19, 686 01 Uherske Hradiste; tel. 8632/78330.
  • Regional: PhDr. Jana Spathova, Okresni Urad-Referat Kultury-686 01 Uherske Hradiste; tel. 6832/432.
  • Interested: Slovacke Muzeum, dir. PhDr. Ivo Frolec, Smetanovy sady, 686 01 Uherske Hradiste; tel. 8632/2262.

Earliest known Jewish community was 1342. 1930 Jewish population was 268. The Jewish community was banished in 1514 with new grant of residence in 1848. Dr. Josef Burstyn, 1866-1910, and Dr. Adolf Hahn, were rabbis here. The Jewish cemetery originated in 1880 with last known Conservative Jewish burial before 1941. No other towns or villages used this landmarked cemetery (Nr. 3496 S.M.) The isolated suburban hillside has a Czech sign or plaque mentioning the Holocaust and the Jewish community. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via no wall, fence, or gate. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII was 0.7123 ha s and is now about 0.5 ha.

No stones are in original location, but special memorial monuments are 3 memorials of Jewish cemetery and no structures. The municipality owns the property used for recreation (park, playground, and athletic field). Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential. The boundaries are smaller than 1939 because of new roads or highways and other. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II. Now, authorities occasionally clean or clear. Serious threat: proposed nearby development. Slight threat: pollution and vandalism.

Engineer arch. Jaroslav Klenovsky, Zebetinska 13, 623 00 Brno; tel. 0 completed survey on 1.3.1991. Documentation: Gold, Herman. Other exisiting documentation was not used. No site visits or interviews occurred.

Last Updated on Thursday, 26 February 2009 21:00
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution