You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czech Republic UBOCI: Cheb, Bohemia
UBOCI: Cheb, Bohemia PDF Print E-mail

map. village photo [February 2009]

 

US Commission No. CZCE000410

Alternate name: Amonsgruen in German. Uboci is located in Bohemia, Cheb at 50º03 12º33, 11 km NW of Marianske Lazne and 14 km SE of Cheb. Cemetery: 700 km SW of Catholic chapel in Uboci close to pond. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Obecni urad, 354 93 Dolni Zandov; tel. 0165/935-11 or 934-39.
  • Regional: Okresni Urad, Referat Kulturym, Obrnene brigady 30, 350 02 Cheb; tel. 0166/308-21 or 309-21; and Zidovska Nabozenska Obec, Smetanovy sady 5/80, 301 37 Plzen; tel. 019/357-49.
  • Interested: Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-06-34, or tel. 231-07-85: and Chebske Muzeum, namesti Krale Jiriho, 350 11 Cheb; tel. 0166/223-86 or 223-87.

Earliest known Jewish community was 1830, but founded probably in second half of 18th century. 1930 Jewish population was 0. Peak Jewish population was in first half of 19th century (16 families permitted). After 1848, Jews moved to big towns, when primarily Jews of neighboring small town, Dolni Zandov, used synagogue and cemetery (Ger: Unter-Sandau). Independent congregation disbanded in 1893; and synagogue closed in 1897. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated before 1841 with last known Orthodox Jewish burial in first third of 20th century. The isolated wooded hillside by water has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public pathway only and across a pond, coffins were transported by boat. Access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and non-locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.147 ha.

About 50 stones, most in original location, date from probably mid-19th-20th century. The granite and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew and German inscriptions. No structures. Plzen Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are 3 forests. Rarely, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred probably prior to World War II 1938 by Nazis; during World War II, occasionally 1981-91 when digging opened several graves and after 1958 when tombstones were stolen. There is no maintenance. Serious threat: vandalism. Moderate threat: vegetation. Slight threat: weather erosion and pollution.

Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on February 1992. Documentation: census of 1750, 1830, 1930; cadastre of 1841; notes of Stani Zidovske Muzeum (1958); Egerer Jahrbuch (1904); Hugo Gold: Die Juden und Judengemeinden Bohemens... (1934). No site visits or interviews occurred.

Last Updated on Thursday, 26 February 2009 19:14
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution