|TUCAPY: Tabor, Bohemia|
map and photos: "The village Tučapy lies about 8 km NE of the town Soběslav. The village is first mentioned in the 14th century, when St. James' Church was founded here. The Baroque appearance of the single-aisled church originates in the reconstruction after fire in 1724. The mansion, which stands in the village, has the look from the reconstruction in 1893. A few Jewish houses can be seen in the village. The conductor and composer Karel Ančerl was born in Tučapy. The plaque commemorates him. The small village Brandlín with a small mansion is situated about 2.5 km northwest of Tučapy." [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000409
Alternate name: Tutschap in German. Tucapy is located in Bohemia-Tabor at 49º18 14º49, 16 km SE of Tabor; 43 km NE of Ceske Budejovice. Cemetery: 0.5 km SSW. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
Late 17th century Jewish community existed. 1930 Jewish population was 11. Peak Jewish population in the mid-19th century (about 30 families). Later, Jews moved to big towns. Independent congregation disbanded after 1921. Birthplace of conductor Karel Ancerl (1908-1973). Buried in the cemetery are ancestors of Karel Ancerl. The Jewish cemetery originated probably in 1713 with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial in perhaps 1937. Prehorov (until 1830's or 1840's), 7 km away, used this landmarked cemetery. The isolated suburban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission via continuous masonry wall and locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.2356 ha.
100-500 stones date from 1737-20th century. The marble, granite, limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves but has a pre-burial house. Praha Jewish community owns cemetery. Adjacent properties are soccer playground, agricultural, and forest. Occasionally, organized Jewish tours or pilgrimage groups, private visitors and local residents stop. This cemetery was not vandalized. Local non-Jewish resident, Mr. Novak, deceased husband of Mrs. Novakova, regional/national authorities, and Jewish groups within country did restoration about 1970 in main part and in 1979 on mortuary. Praha Jewish Congregation pays the regular caretaker. Moderate threat: vegetation. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution and vandalism.
Ladislav Mertl, Mgr. of Geography, Kubanske namesti 1322/17, Praha 10-Vrsovice; tel. 02/743213 and Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/553340 completed survey in August 1992. Documentation: census 1723, 1849, 1930, 1991; Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia(1980); records of Cemetery Committee of Council of Jewish Congregation, 1979-85; notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha; letters of Josef Novak (1985). The site was not visited. Mrs. Novakova were interviewed.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 26 February 2009 18:34|