You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czech Republic TREBOTOV: Praha-zapad, Bohemia
TREBOTOV: Praha-zapad, Bohemia PDF Print E-mail

Třebotov. 49°58' N 14°18' E, 10.9 miles SW of Praha. Třebotov is a village and municipality in Prague-West District in the Central Bohemian Region.

The heavily damaged Jewish cemetery close to Prague was founded in 1761, the oldest readable tombstone dates from the year 1795. Cemetery photo. photo and map. photos. photo. Reach the cemetery by going down the street and around the pond past the pond around the hospital to the end to where it crosses the street in Šumava. From this point, the cemetery is about 200m. It is split into older and newer parts. The newer part is closer to the street above the pond. The oldest tombstone is from 1795 with the last burial in the 1970s. Many tombstones were stolen, leaving only plinths. Black granite tombstones were sold [?[to? by] Zbraslav Jewish community  .http://krnovsko.eu/?p=1333. Several photos. [Feb 2013]

Town's official website. [Feb 2013]

US Commission No. CZCE000407
Trebotov is located in Bohemia, Praha-zapad (Prague-W ). at 49º58 14º18, 15 km SW of center of Praha and 14 km E of Beroun. Cemetery: 1 km E of church, on hill called "Kuliva hora". Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Mestsky Urad, 252 28 Cernosice tel. 02/643-40-48 or 643-41-70 and Mistni urad, 252 26 Trebotov; tel. 02/59-43-68 or 55-62-81.
  • Regional: Okresni Urad-Referat Kultury, Podskalska 19, 128 00 Praha 2; tel. 02/29-71-51 and Prazska ZNO, Maislova 18, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-69-25.
  • Interested: Okresni Muzeum, 254 01 Jilove u Prahy 16; tel. 02/995-17-36 or 995-18-41 and Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 00 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-06-34 or 231-07-85.

1930 Jewish population was 1 with no Jewish community. In the 18th century, the cemetery belonged to Trebotov Chevra Kadisha. Later, in the first half of 19th century, the Jewish congregation in Zbraslav (Ger: Koenigsaal, now part of Praha) originated from three village Chevras. Independent congregation of Zbraslav (150 in all territory of congregation in 1890 disbanded between 1922-1930. The Jewish cemetery originated probably in 1761 with last known Conservative Jewish burial before 1973. Zbraslav (German: Koenigsaal); probably Vonoklasy (German: Wonoklas) and Vsenory (German: Wschenor) (7 km; 3 km and 5 km away) used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated wooded crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.5844 ha. 20-100 stones, most in original location, date from 1795-20th century. The marble, granite and limestone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves but has a pre-burial house ruin. Praha Jewish community owns the site used for Jewish cemetery and playground and waste dumping. Properties adjacent are residential and woods. Frequently, private visitors and local residents stop at playground. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1945-1991 when greater part of tombstones were stolen. There is no maintenance. Very serious threat: vandalism. Serious threats: uncontrolled access and pollution. Moderate threat: vegetation. Slight threat: weather erosion.
Vlastmila Hamackova, Zabelska 37, Martina Chmelikova, Nad Ondrejovem 16, 140 00 Praha 4; tel. 02/69-20-350 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 55-33-40 completed survey on 31 August 1992. Documentation: census 1724, 1879, 1921, and 1930; cadastre of 1840, 1873, 1875; notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha; Die Juden und Judengemeinden Boehmens (1934); Jahrbuch fuer die israelische Cultusgemeinden Boehmens (1893-1894). Other documentation was inaccessible. No site visits or interviews occurred.

Last Updated on Monday, 18 March 2013 19:38
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution