|TREBON: Jindrichuv Hradec, Bohemia|
town website in Czech. A vast wealth of water sources brings the name ‘a town of lakes’ to Třeboň and ‘a landscape of mirrors’ for the Třeboň basin. IDesignated a rural conservation area and a UNESCO biosphere reserve, the spa, the Renaissance chateau, adjacent parks and the large expanse of Lake Svět (World) form special local color. Třeboň is famous for its traditional fish-breeding, the excellent ‘Třeboň carp’. map and photos: "The spa town is an important tourist, recreational, cultural and administrative centre in South Bohemia. The centre of the town is [landmarked]. Třeboň lies on the Zlatá Stoka (Golden Canal) in the Třeboňská Pánev (Třeboň Basin) in the Protected Landscape Area Třeboňsko about 20 km east of the town České Budějovice,. The history of the town dates back to the middle of the 12th century, when the settlement or the courtyard was founded on a trade route in this marshy country. Its Czech name is first mentioned in 1262 when the village was under the ownership of the Vítkovec family. Since the 13th century, Třeboň has been ... a town and was fortified in the 14th century [as] property of the Rožmberks who owned the town from 1366 until 1611, the period of its biggest growth. The development of pond culture in the 15th and 16th centuries was a very important part of this boom. The large system of ponds and canals was founded around Třeboň (e.g. Svět pond ("World") on the outskirts of the town and Rožmberk pond, which is the largest pond in Bohemia). The famous builders of ponds Štěpánek Netolický and Jakub Krčín worked as regents here at that time. Třeboň burnt down several times and was very damaged during the Thirty Years' War. Around 1640 the plague epidemic killed nearly all of the population. In 1660 Třeboň became property of the Schwarzenbergs, who started the renewal of the town with a Baroque face. At the end of the 19th century. the spa was founded with peat used for healing. After the Second World War the development of the town started again and the spa enlarged (after 1950) into the sanatorium for muscles and joints. A unique fortification system is preserved in Třeboň. Štěpánek Netolický added the second belt of defensive walls with bastions, moat and rampart to the simple town walls. Three huge town gates protected the town: Hradecká Brána (Hradec Gate), Novohradská Brána (Nové Hrady Gate) are on the eastern side of walls; the Budějovická Brána (Budějovice Gate) is on the western side. The chateau, which stands on the south-western outskirts of the town near the square and a part of the fortification, is enclosed with houses with Renaissance and Baroque gables. The most important building is the town hall. The Marian column, which stands in the middle of the square, originates from 1781. A former monastery of the order of Austin Friars from the 14th century and St. Gilles' Church are situated in the north-western part of the town not far from the centre. The southern border of the town is formed by Svět pond with several leisure centres on its bank. The circular instructional trail Cesta kolem Světa ("The Journey Around the World") leads around the pond, 12 km long and 16 stops. The family tomb of the Schwarzenbergs stands in the nature park on the bank of Svět pond about 1.5 km far from the centre. Many instructional and nature trails lead around the town. The circular trail Cesta kolem Světa (Trip Around Svět) runs around the Svět pond. On the dam of the Svět pond there begin the cyclotrails Okolo Třeboně (Around Třeboň) and Rožmberk." [February 2009] NEARBY:
reserve Slepičí Vršek
reserve Stará Řeka
reserve Velký a Malý Tisý
reserve Meandry Lužnice
game preserve Jemčinská Obora
Zlatá Stoka canal
Nová Řeka canal
US Commission No. CZCE000313
Earliest known Jewish community was after 1848. 1930 Jewish population was 43. Maximum 2 families permitted before 1848. Jews moved from surrounding villages to Trebon after 1848; congregation was founded probably after 1850; Jewish population peaked about 1900. The Jewish cemetery originated in 1900 with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial in 1940 and 1943 (urns). The wooded flat isolated site has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission via continuous masonry wall and locking gate. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII was 0.2763 ha and is now 0.2704 ha.
20-100 stones, all in original locations, date from 20th century. The granite finely smoothed and inscribed stones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Within the limits of the site is a pre-burial house. Praha Jewish community owns cemetery. Adjacent properties are woods. The boundaries are smaller than 1939 because of caretaker house sale. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred 1945-1981. Local non-Jewish residents and Jewish individuals within country did restoration fifteen years ago [1977?]. Now, there is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. Moderate threat: vegetation. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion and vandalism.
Vlastmila Hamackova, Zabelska 37, Martina Chmelikova, Nad Ondrejovem 16, 140 00 Praha 4; tel. 02/69-20-350 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 55-33-40 completed survey on 25 November 1992. Documentation: Jan Herman, Jewish Cemeteries of Bohemia and Moravia (1980); article in Vestnik ZNO, year 42, No. 10. Other documentation was inaccessible. The site was not visited. Mr. V. Preiss, Trebon 1992 were interviewed.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 26 February 2009 14:56|