|TERESOV: Rokycany, Bohemia|
Cemetery contact information and a photo. [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000293
Alternate names: Terešov [Cz], Terreschau [Ger]. Teresov is located in Bohemia, Rokycany at 49°54' N, 13°42' E , 16 km NW of Horovice, 22 km SSW of Rakovnik and 18 miles NE of Plzeň (Pilsen), in W Bohemia.. Cemetery: 1500 m SW of chateau, close to road leading to village of Bila Skala; 500 m ENE of Bila Skala (formerly Salcperk, in German: Salzberg). Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was burial society recorded in 1623 and prayer-house in 1680. The Jewish population was 187 (in 1848), 2 (in 1921), and 0 (in 1930). 12 Jewish families were permitted in 1750, 32 families (187 people) in 1848. After 1848, Jews moved to big towns. Last Jewish family left Teresov between 1922-1929, but local congregation (for vicinity) existed and synagogue was used until 1935. The Jewish cemetery originated allegedly in 16th century as burial place for Jewish victims of plague. Regular cemetery use probably in 17th century (Chevra in 1623) was recorded in 18th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial in 1924. Prasny Ujezd; Hresihlavy (before 1821); Radnice (before 18th century) (3 km; 6 km; 6 km away) this unlandmarked cemetery. The flat isolated rural (agricultural) site has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and non-locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.4082 ha.
100-500 stones, most in original location, date from first half of 18th-20th century. The marble, granite and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones, or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains unmarked mass graves of plague victims. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Plzen Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1945-1991 after 1965 with no maintenance. Moderate threats: weather erosion and vandalism.
Dr. Peter Braun, Komenskeho 43, 323 13 Plzen; tel. 019/52-1558; and Rudolf Lowy, Jesenicka 33, 323 23 Plzen; tel. 019/52-06-84; and Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 4 November 1992. Documentation: census 1750, 1848, 1921, 1930; Die Juden und Judengemeinden Bohemens. (1934); Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries. (1980); notes of research made by Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha in 1965. The site was not visited. V.Wainar, 338 28 Radnice 282; tel. 018191-54-82 (consulted in 1992) were interviewed.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 26 February 2009 12:28|